Author Topic: doing a lot of "fussing" whilst eating  (Read 1372 times)

jade's mum

doing a lot of "fussing" whilst eating
« on: September 16, 2005, 12:31:21 pm »
My lo of 9 weeks used to be a very good eater, relaxed, latching on well, eating for 20 - 30 mins and taking in lots of milk.... when she finised, she used to just pull of the breast and have that beautiful milk drunk look.

However, lately, she has been  "fussing" during eating and almost looking frustrated and after a few minutes (say 8-10mins) she'd shake her head vigorously whilst on the breast and then pull off and start crying (nearly to the extent of wailing) and I'd have to calm her and then put her back on the breast.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Is there an explanation?

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 12:36:23 pm »
How's her weight gain and the wet diaper count?  You always want to check that to make sure supply isn't a concern.

It's possible, though, that she's having a growth spurt and your supply just hasn't yet increased enough to satisfy her.  How long has it been going on?  Have you tried feeding her more often? She also might be getting frustrated as the flow slows down.  Are you double side feeding or single side?  You might need to switch to the other side because one is not satisfying her enough.

It also could be gas, but doesn't sound as much like that to me...
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

jade's mum

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 13:02:32 pm »
Hi and thanks for your help....

Hard to tell with weight gain (because I haven't got access to scales easily), she's gained maybe 200gms in 2 weeks?  that's not much, is it?

In regards to my supply - after she pulls off, I squeeze my boob to check supply and there's still milk there.... but yes, I should try to switch sides as I have been only feeding on one side (to get as much hind milk as possible)

Possible that it's a growth spurt because it's just not the eating that's changing, her sleeping habits have changed as well! she's been on EASY for a month now with the Shh/pat working quite well, but lately (last 3 days) I have had to resort to rocking her basinett (I know that's bad) but she just wouldn't go down with the sssh/patt - she's start crying and won't calm down.... but when I rock her, she will fall asleep!

Plus generally, she's been crying a lot more aswell! it's like all these things are changing all at once and I can't understand why.... and it seems like things are regressing instead of getting better

How long does the growth spurt last for?

Offline drover

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 17:21:34 pm »
Hello,

My 9 week old is doing the same thing.  I finally figured out to reduce the noise etc when I feed her (no tv, no phone, no music) Also, I have paid more attention and she needs to feed more often.  It was almost once an hour yesterday but today seems to be better.  I think she was just trying to increase my supply.
Hope everything is going well for you!

Allison

Mom to Abigail July 5 /05

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 19:53:56 pm »
Grwoth spurts usually only last a few days - less than a week.  So you might see her start to settle down soon.  And I think the rule of thumb for younger babies is about 25-30g per day gain.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha