Author Topic: My tired daughter won't sleep past 45 minutes!  (Read 1507 times)

Offline tracefo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My tired daughter won't sleep past 45 minutes!
« on: September 19, 2005, 21:57:54 pm »
My daughter is 9 weeks old and I've tried to get her into the EASY routine since she was 5 days old. The problem is that she won't sleep during the day for the 1 and half in the routine and then it's a toss up of what we should do next, let her fuss, feed her, try to get her back to sleep (I've only been able to do that once). She falls asleep at night no problem, first nap, no problem, but after that it gets more and more difficult and the naps get shorter and shorter to the point that she is very overtired and very grumpy. I always do the four S's, I've tried starting the sleep routine at the first yawn, before the first yawn, long after the first yawn, etc and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The most stimulating thing we do is watch the ceiling fan or the mobile in her crib so I don't think she is over stimulated. I've stayed with her for the duration of her naps so that I can be there when she statles or comes out of sleep but I can't seem to get her into the next sleep cycle and she gets so upset I have to pick her up. I've tried starting the whole process again, she won't have anything to do with it unless there's been an Eat in there. (She knows the routine!) I'm just waiting for her to get older so I can try the PU/PD thing, I know she's too young for it now. I'm at the point where I'm not going to wake her up anymore if she actually sleeps longer than she's supposed to at any given nap or night time because it makes not difference and I feel I'm robbing her of sleep. I try to follow the typical 3 hour EASY routine but most days it ends up being a 2 and a half or even a 2 hour routine because once she's fussy nothing makes her happy except to start again!
Any suggestions. We don't get her to bed until 10pm (her dream feed) because she won't sleep until then!
Thanks for any help you might have.

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 01:34:59 am »
Hi there,

First off, big hugs to you!  I completely understand what you are going through. I went through this with Brendan, who started catnapping when he was 7 weeks old. It was crazy, frustrating and exhausting! 

What I learned from the whole experience, was to just concentrate of learning how to fall asleep-- focussing on sleepy cues, and settling to sleep.  I kept the awake time short, made his sleep environment dark as possible, swaddled him tight (some of my friends swear by the Miracle Blanket and the Aussie Swaddle) and helped him settle to sleep.  He would always wake up at 45 mins.. either wide awake and happy or he would be screaming.  If he woke up crying, then I would try to resettle him to sleep.. I would go in early to anticipate the wake up.  If he woke up happy, then I would do a quiet activity and within 10 mins. he would be yawning again, and I would put him back to sleep.

To be honest with you, I found it hard to resettle him to sleep, so I would take him out for a walk or lie down with him.  Since he was a young one, I knew that his ability to self soothe wouldn't come start to develop until after 3 months-- so I did relay on some props and "accidental" parenting to extend his sleep. But when he was past 3 months old and he became better at falling asleep independently, then I changed strategies.

There is a thread here under Announcements called "Newborns and sleep" and in it are some posts about jolts. overtiredness and getting past the 45 min. mark. 

Hang in there.. I know it's frustrating, but it will improve. It's mostly developmental, and will be something your little one will get past between 4-6 months of age.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline Jack'sMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 03:09:23 am »
Jane,
Your email is so encouraging.  My situation with my 10 week old son sounds so similar to the woman who posted about her 9 week old daughter.  I have tried everything to extend my sons naps past 45 minutes...some days we have success, others, he just won't sleep.  I appreciated your thoughts on what to do while he is still under 3 months.  I will work on that and see how he develops in the next few weeks.  Thanks again!
Jen

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 19:03:20 pm »
I'm glad to hear that you feel comfort from my experience.  My first son was a sleepy baby, who slept all the time. My Brendan, who's 11 months old now, was very alert, wide awake and had a very hard time settling down when he was a newborn/young infant.  It was a lot of work, to help him to learn how to fall asleep, and then more work to help him learn how to stay asleep. He started out doing the sleep for 10 mins. and wake up at every jolt (every 10 mins). 

He's a big time sleeper now, has a great nap in the morning and afternoon, and has been doing this since 5 months old.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004

Offline tracefo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 19:03:42 pm »
Jane and Jen,
It's so nice to know I'm not the only one!  Thanks for your reply I will keep at it and take heart in the fact that she will grow out of this!
Tracey