Author Topic: I'm only making it worse  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Claire Marie's mommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
I'm only making it worse
« on: September 24, 2005, 17:40:57 pm »
Hi all, here's the scoop:
     I began dream feeding my girl about three weeks ago.  She' s 5 months now, and we bf, but she never seemed to take much.  It worked for a while and she was able to go until 4am until her next feed.  Last week, I noticed that the dream feed seemed to make her sleep more restless and she began to wake at odd hours.  So I decided to drop it.  I did it cold turkey because I don't think she was taking much anyway.  For 3 nights, she didn't wake until 4am!  At which time I fed her and she would go back down until 6 or 7.  Now, she will sleep until 4am on some nights, but on others will be up 2or 3 times!  I don't want to feed her until at least 3am, because I know she can go that long.  The problem is that when I try to help her settle instead of feed her, she becomes FURIOUS!!!  :x  I always wait for a genuine cry, as sometimes she will put herself back to sleep.  When I do go in, she squeals with delight (its actually very cute), but as soon as she realizes I'm not going to feed, she freaks!   I'm trying to pat and shh, but she's yelling/crying so loud.  I start to worry about teething, being sick, ect, but when I give the paci, or feed her, she calms right down :? .  I REALLY don't want to do PU/PD because it makes her scream even more.  I think I have somewhat of a drama queen on my hands.  DD said that he will try to settle her tonight, but I'm nervous about the whole thing.  He doesn't take much interest in the whole BW idea.  How can I settle my babe without making her more upset? A five month old should be able to go 8 hours should'nt they? She is on a 4 hour easy, puts herself to sleep at the beginning of the night and at naps so I  know she can do it. 

Any advice
Thanks
Jessica

Offline jchang

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.sdhealthylife.com
I'm only making it worse
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 23:50:29 pm »
If you're comfortable with letting her cry it out, I think that'll help.  The same thing happened with us.  Finally, I got so frustrated one night & just wanted to sleep through the night that I just let her cry.  She didn't get up anymore!  At 5 mos. she should be able to go at least 8 hours, actually typically 9-11 hours straight.  If you don't want to do that, you can have your husband go in to comfort her.  You going in is probably just a tease for her - she associates boobs with you.  Hope that helps.

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
I'm only making it worse
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 23:55:13 pm »
I would agree that having DH go in and try and settle may be better then you - cause she knows she won't get fed!
The other thing that someone else on here suggested to me was to "wean" her off the feeds. For example: let her go for say 7 minutes and then stop her and put her back to bed, the next night go for 6 minutes, the next night 5 and so on. After a few nights her cild stopped waking at all for the feed.  I cannot remember who told me this - but she said it worked well for her. We haven't done it yet, but are going to try this week.
Just a thought!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline jchang

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.sdhealthylife.com
I'm only making it worse
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 05:20:13 am »
The weaning method sounds effective.  I wish I had heard of it before.  What happens if the baby fusses after you stop feeding her?  Would you just let her cry it out?  The good thing about the crying it out method was that I only had to do it one night & the next night I was sleeping until morning - pure bliss!

Offline Flo&Hugosmum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 15:20:22 pm »
I can't say it works for all, but colled boiled water sometimes is enough to settle them back to sleep if you want to give something.  I am using this as a stepping stone. Once I konow that he doesn't need "food" in the night then I will feel happier(?) with letting him cry.

This worked with my daughter now 19months and sleeping easily 12 hours a night, but they are all different.