Author Topic: Does she want the other side?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline mommynow

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 16, 2005, 18:02:01 pm »
For a while now my daughter has been eating on one side and then after about 10 minutes she will bob off and open her mouth wide.  I put her back on and she eats some more but pulls and bobs off again.  If I put her on the other side she will eat better but I am worried that she isn't emptying the other breast because everytime I put her back on she will swallow more.  I don't know if it is just getting slower and she is impatient or if she has pretty much emptied it and wants more.  She used to eat for 15-20 minutes straight on one side and sometimes she will still do this but since she turned 3 months she is doing this more and more.  She is waking up more in the night also so I am wondering if she needs more to eat.

Thank you.
Abigail born May 26, 2005

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Does she want the other side?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 19:56:32 pm »
Sounds like she's still hungry.  Do you do breast compression? That can really help empty the first side.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
Does she want the other side?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 22:04:29 pm »
Sounds like what Caeden has starting doing. I usually let him go till he starts coming off and on and then switch sides and he typically nurses twice as long there and then when he is done I will offer the first side again. He often takes it and nurses anothre 5 minutes or so.
I also switch which side I start with so at least every other feeding I know it is getting completely emptied!
So far this is working for us, he is going longer between feeds too - I can get 3 hours easier now and before I was struggling to get 2 - 2 1/2.
I would go ahead and switch sides and see how she does!

Also - at night he only takes one side at a time unless he poops and I have to change him and start over. But then he is like half asleep anyway and so he nurses well and doesn't get frustrated when it slows down!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline mommynow

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 19:46:11 pm »
Thank you!  At night she only takes one side as well.
Abigail born May 26, 2005