Author Topic: new to board- need help with night waking- DS "regressi  (Read 1947 times)

Offline clc053103

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
new to board- need help with night waking- DS "regressi
« on: September 14, 2005, 13:30:16 pm »
Hello! I have a 10 week old DS.  Birth weight was 8 lb 13 oz, and he is now near 15 lbs.  He was BF in early weeks, but is now FF.  He eats 7 times a day, 5-6 oz a feeding. At pediatrician's instruction, due to size of our son and intake of formula, we started spoon feeding cereal at 9 weeks- 2 times a day, 1 tablespoon of rice cereal to 1 oz formula as part of his regular bottle feeding. 

Ifound the Baby Whisperer after following Babywise -therefore DS was on a steady eat/activity/sleep schedule every three hours since that is also taught in Babywise.  He ate well, he was easy to put to bed, and generally, a very happy and pleasant baby.  Luckily, I never had to let DS 'cry it out' or other tough love methods supported in Babywise so I see no trust issues.
At about 6 weeks, he started sleeping 6-7 hours at night.  This made for a happy mommy, too!

However at about 9 weeks, he suddenly regressed to waking in 4 - 5 hours.  I reviewed DS's schedule and found one area we may have been going wrong- his last feeding was AFTER his bath, around 9.  We then reworked his schedule.  He now bathes and has last feeding by 8, with a dream feed at 10:30.  After reworking the schedule for a few days, I find that his sleep after dream feed is getting SHORTER- last night only 3 hours.  I first tried shush pat, pacifier etc after checking to confirm his diaper was fine and there was no sign of illness or distress- just to see if he was waking out of habit or was startled.  When all else failed, I gave a bottle where he ate a full 5 oz feeding- so it truly was hunger that woke him. 

Sorry for the lengthy email but I want to provide as much detail as possible.  I am getting very discouraged by what gives the appearance of a reversal of progress.  The only other thing I can think of is location?  I was at our beach house for a few weeks (sleeps in full size crib, but it's in our room) and the earlier night waking occurred a few days after we moved back home (full size crib, but own room).  I am following my same procedures as far as going to get him only after I am sure he is awake and not just restlessly sleeping, but using a monitor instead of having him in earshot.

I would appreciate any recommendations or suggestions you can offer!

Courtney

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 00:05:15 am »
My SIL follows babywise & her #2 is 12 weeks old, so I know quiet a bit about that method.

Firslty as a big baby he could well be going through a growth spurt... although it is normally at about 3mo, both my boys have had theirs around 10-11 weeks, so you should try offering more at each day feed

Also I think 7 feeds a day may be problem, FF babies should actually feed less than bf & if you are doing that many, the time between feeds may mean your lo doesn't take a full feed & so will be hungry earlier. I think we need to work on that being 6 good feeds about 3.5 hours apart.

What is your day routine like, that will help me give you some idea of changes you could make to help improve the night sleep
How long does he nap for at each nap, how many are there?

Finally I'm totally shocked your pedi would recommend solids so early ... I have a very big baby (my 2nd big one) he was 10lb.4 at birth & at 2mo, was 16lb & now at almost 4mo is 20lb+ I am still bf & he is on 5 feeds /24hours & sleeps 8-10 hours per night. I successfully didn't need to supplement my first with solids before 5.5 months & he was just as big.

BTW if he fed at the wake up, I don't think the room location is a problem, I think as he could do long stretches it is an overall feeding routine issue
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline clc053103

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 00:20:23 am »
Thanks Kate! I think you may be right on with the growth spurt.  Last night he slept 7 hours again so maybe it is over? We shall see tonight!

As far as cereal- yes, a shock to me too- this dr is sort of old school so I was surprised.  his long stretch of sleep puts him back at 6 feeds a day, about 3 - 3 1/2 hours apart. 

As for his routine- sticking to EASY (similar to babywise teachings so it's been that way since day 1)
for activity, we take a lot of walks- loves the outdoors.  About once a day we go somewhere in the car during his waketime and he sleeps wherever we go (gym nursery, in stroller shopping etc).  His naps are usually about 1 hour - 1 1/2 with a longer say, 2 hour nap in the afternoon.  his next early evening nap is of a shorter duration.  Activity in the house includes swinging, just sitting in the bouncy chair (watching me try to work off my post c section tummy  :) ) and occasionally baby bjorn time. I haven't introduced a lot of "stuff" to him yet as to not overstimulate- occasional rattle play, etc.

I will let you know how tonight goes to see if it supports that he completed a growth spurt- I would appreciate any feedback and advice from you!

Thank you for your time!

Courtney

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2005, 02:26:08 am »
Courtney, as he does the long sleeps in the day, he isn't a poor day sleeper which is often the case with night waking.

I think it could be a growth spurt

Although I must say in my personal opinion it could also be the solids are upsetting his tummy & causing the waking. Although that is just my opinion & having worked in immunology & read up heaps on allergy research, no Dr in the world could make me give my ds solids before 6mo. Because with my first it caused heaps of upset tummies.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline clc053103

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2005, 16:46:59 pm »
WEll last night wasn't a great success!  He slept 4 hours after dream feed, ate 5 oz at that time.  I offer 6 oz of formula at every feeding and he eats typically 5 - 5 1/2. On the rare occasion  he drains a bottle, I always offer more.

I forgot to mention something that might be important. Before his night wakings, he makes noise for anywhere from 30 min to 1 hour 30 minutes-babbling, sporadic crying, grunting.  I continually check on him and he is always asleep.  He never goes back to quiet sleep after these episodes, eventually wakes up, at which time he takes a full feeding.  He did this every once in a while before, but now it is a steady occurrence before every night waking.  I am really not sure how to interpret this.

I will discuss with my husband possibly stopping cereal feeds for a week to see how he reacts.

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 11:07:43 am »
I must admit, having never ff I am not too sure on the amounts etc, but to me esp with the noises for a while & then taking a full feed, it sounds like it is actually hunger that is waking him, he seems like a good sleeper, nap wise & you are in a good routine, so honestly the only thing I can think of is that it is a growth spurt. keep trying to offer more than the 5oz during the day & see how it goes for the next few days, he still is quite young & things change so quickly.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline clc053103

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 14:31:39 pm »
thanks for the encouragement- sometimes when we feel we are doing everything so "right' we forget that this are just babies that don't always follow by the book as well!!

DS was making noise at 2:45 last night- was still asleep but getting louder. I gave a paci- he dropped it and put h is hand in his mouth and was quiet in moments!  When he stirred again at 5:45 we offered formula and at that time, he was definitely hungry- that was 6 1/2 hours and he then slept another 3, when I found him happy in his crib.  A good night overall!!

I will be offering an extra ounce all day and will let you know what happens! Thanks again!