Author Topic: Help! My 6 month old is waking up every 1 1/2 hours at night  (Read 1177 times)

Offline LPMMOM

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help! My 6 month old is waking up every 1 1/2 hours at night
« on: September 15, 2005, 00:19:00 am »
My DH and I are desperate for some sleep.  Our 6 month old DS has been waking up between 4 and 10 times a night for the past two months.  Most of the time we can get him easily back to sleep by giving him, or helping him to find his pacifier.  I do a dream feed, and I breast feed him, so I am slowly trying to decrease the amount of time of the dream feed- hoping to have it phased out within the next few weeks.  He does not seem hungry when he wakes up and he is eating solid foods now so I don't think he is waking to eat.  When he was 4 months old we did PU/PD to teach him to nap in his crib- it worked well- but, we gave him the pacifier to help him to fall asleep.  Now, I am wondering what to do.
Should we go on as we are, helping him to find the pacifier (it usually takes less than a minute to get him back to sleep) and hope that one day he will be able to find the pacifier himself?  Should we do PU/PD again without the pacifier?  Would it be inconsistent to let him fall asleep with the pacifier and then do PU/PD without the pacifier for night wake ups? Please, please help- any advice, suggestions, support will be greatly appreciated.

Offline SandyGal

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 00:54:19 am »
I think you've hit the nail on the head here. DS needs to learn to sleep without the paci. The really great news is that because you've been through the routine with him before, he will remember and catch on quickly! Do expect initial resistance though. To be consistent, start his sleeps with no pacifier all together (naps and nights). He will be confused if he is getting it sometimes but it is being withheld at others. PU/PD is the way to go! The investment of time and heart will pay off just like it did initially. Best of luck to you! You'll be sleeping through the night in no time  :wink:  :D
Sandy-Mom to Kyra (1-7-04) and Kylan (9-20-05)

Offline GraysonsMommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 17:45:36 pm »
I am right there with you on this and started to do the p/u-p/d and sh-sh- pat routine after taking the pac away cold turkey.  I think it's the best way to go, since they don't understand gradual weaning at this age.  The first night went great, naps the next day were wonderful, but the second night and day were a different story, he cried like I've never experienced before, but we didn't give in.  He's random now, last night he was easy to soothe back to sleep, today he cried being put down for his first nap, but not at all for his second and then he woke 45 minutes into that nap crying just as hard as the second night and it took me 20 minutes of p/u-p/d and sh-sh-pat to get him calm enough to fall back asleep.  I guess I thought the progression would be more gradual rather than random like this, but I imagine some progression is a good sign.  I know it can vary with each child as far as how long it takes to get through the rough patches, but here's to hoping!!  I hope you find what works for you and I hope it works fast.  Be prepared for a couple of rough nights.  When you are up with the crying, just think of me, in Allentown PA, going through the same thing!  he he

Jessica
Grayson born 5/28/05
A Spirited and slightly Touchy little guy

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/luckylot1999/6f36d4a2.jpgimg07610qs.th.jpg[/img][/URL]