Author Topic: Pacifier to cure 45 minute naps?  (Read 1235 times)

Offline ashersmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Pacifier to cure 45 minute naps?
« on: September 16, 2005, 20:58:14 pm »
Hello--

I was wondering if I should try a pacifier at the 38 minute mark to try and send my DS back to sleep.  If I do this for a week then maybe he will be able to stay asleep longer without the pacifier and I will not have to go in any longer?  He does not currently use a pacifer to sleep...we broke that habit about 3 weeks ago.  Would this become a habit for him?  Or would it have the same effect as pat/shh (which currently does not work for us).  DS (almost 4 months) is Spirited and easily stimulated---he normally wakes and pat/shhh just wakes him more (MOST of the time, not ALWAYS)

Thanks for any input!
Beth

Beth
Mom of Spirited Asher

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 02:51:26 am »
This technique is called Wake to sleep and i used the paci also when working on the 45min naps.

I set my timer and crept into her room.  I had a drawer full of paci's so I didn't have to dig in the crib for it.  As soon as she stired, I lightly put the paci to her lips.  She took it, i would move out of sight and sometimes she would go right back to sleep.  If she opened her eyes and saw me, forget it.  I would have to do shh/pat for 15-30mins to get her back to sleep.

here is another option:
Jane (one of the super sleep moderator  :wink: ) did this w/ success for her king of short naps.  I set my timer, in case I got busy. When it near the time, I oh-so quietly crept into his bedroom, once he stirred, I placed one hand on his back and one of his thigh. I didn't say anything, make any sound. Just as subtle as possible. I stayed like that until he returned to deep sleep, and slowly lightened the pressure of my hands.

I would not worry about the prop at this stage, as long he doesn't need it to fall asleep and you aren't having to pop it in every time it falls out. 

Also some babies respond to pat-shush, some respond to either pat or shush and I would try for at least 20-30 min. 

Hope this helps!

Offline Kitsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 15:18:00 pm »
My opinion - he will learn to extend his naps on his own.  This is the age that a lot of us have short nap issues.  You are lucky to have a 45 minute nap issue.  A lot of moms are dealing with a 20 minute nap issue.  I am willing to bet that within a few weeks, the naps will lengthen on their own.  I have delt with short naps with both of mine.  I obsessed with my first doing all of the extending naps techniques.  After about 2 weeks, I had success. 

My husband & friends were not impressed.  My mom friends tried to tell me that my dd would have still extended her naps if I hadn't obsessed.  So, with my second, I let it go.  I had to.  My dd was only 18 months when my ds started having short (20 minute naps).  This time, I decided that at 3.5 months, I would remove the binkie cold turkey.  He managed to learn how to get to sleep on his own (the paci was a prop afterall) and within 2 weeks, he extended his naps.

It was not a happy 2 weeks.  He is a very happy baby - but during this short nap time, he got a bit cranky.  But, I have to tell you, it was sooooo much easier letting it go.  I didn't obsess and I was happier for it.    Also, I noticed that he started to sleep better at night during this time.  I thought that it was because he was so exhausted - but now I think that his short naps were a result of a change in his sleep.  Because now he still sleeps great at night (sleeping through the night) and takes better naps.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck.  Just beware - the paci can become a prop at this age.