Author Topic: Fenugreek again!  (Read 2132 times)

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
Fenugreek again!
« on: September 17, 2005, 13:07:45 pm »
I know there have been a spate of posts about this recently, but being very short of time i thought i'd create a new post to ask:

What is appropriate dose for supply increase? The capsules are 610mg. T pack says 3-6 per day, but then of course advises that lactating women consult a docor before taking them!!

TIA
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Fenugreek again!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 15:24:30 pm »
From Dr Jack Newman's handouts:

Herbs for increasing milk supply

It is quite possible that herbal remedies help increase milk supply.   There are several drugs that obviously do increase milk supply, and of course it is reasonable to assume that some plants and herbs might contain similar pharmacological agents.   Almost every culture has some sort of herb or plant or potion to increase milk supply.   Some may work as placebos, which is fine; some may not work at all; some may have one or more active ingredients.   Some will have active ingredients that will not increase the milk supply but have other effects, not necessarily desirable.   Note that even herbs can have side effects, even serious ones.   Natural source drugs are still drugs, and there is no such thing as a 100% safe drug.   Luckily, as with most drugs, the baby will get only a tiny percentage of the mother’s dose.   The baby is thus extremely unlikely to have any side effects at all from the herbs. Two herbal treatments that seem to increase the milk supply are fenugreek and blessed thistle, in the following dosages:

Fenugreek :                   3 capsules 3 times a day

Blessed thistle :             3 capsules 3 times a day, or 20 drops of the tincture 3 times a day

The tincture container states that blessed thistle should not be taken by nursing mothers, presumably because of the tiny amount of alcohol the mother would get.   There are some preparations of both herbs that are labelled “not for use by nursing mothers”.   Don’t worry about this; these herbs are safe for the mother to take because so little gets into the milk.   Teas also seem to work, but to take enough to make a difference,you will be drinking tea all day and night, since the amount of the herbs you get is much less.

Fenugreek and blessed thistle seem to work better if you take both, not just one or the other.
Fenugreek and blessed thistle work quickly. If they do work, you will usually notice a difference within 3 to 4 days of starting taking them.   If not, they probably won’t work.
Fenugreek is often sold as a combination with thyme.   Do not buy this combination, but try to get the capsules with fenugreek alone.
Herbal remedies are not standardized, so though the bottle of fenugreek, for example, may say that it contains 405, 505, 605 or 705 mg/capsule, we do not really know how much of the active ingredient you are taking.   Fenugreek has a distinct smell.   If you cannot smell it on your skin, you are not taking enough, even if you are taking three capsules three times a day.
Fenugreek and blessed thistle seem also to work better in the first few weeks than later.   In fact they tend to work best in the first week.   Domperidone works better after the first few weeks. (See handouts 19a and 19b Domperidone 1 and Domperidone 2 for more information.)
You can take fenugreek and blessed thistle together with domperidone if you feel they are helping.   If you take the herbs and domperidone, take domperidone at the same time, 3 tablets three times a day.
If you are ready to stop fenugreek and blessed thistle, you can probably stop suddenly, or wean off over a week or so.   
Fenugreek does not cause low blood sugar.   Where this rumour came from is unknown.
            Other herbal treatments that have been used to increase milk supply are: raspberry leaf, fennel, goat’s rue, brewer’s yeast, alfalfa, nettle tea and many others.   The effectiveness of none of these treatments, including blessed thistle and fenugreek, has been proved.   Remember! Herbal treatments are only part of the solution to “not enough milk” (see protocol to increase breastmilk intake by the baby).   See also the website http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html for videos on how to latch a baby on, how to know the baby is getting milk, how to use compression, how to use a lactation aid, as well as information sheets on breastfeeding.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline CarolinaGirl

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Fenugreek again!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 21:25:59 pm »
I started Fenugreek for the first time 4 days ago. I am taking 610 mg, 3 pills 3 times a day with meals. I have noticed some difference in my supply already. I read somewhere that it takes 24-36 hours to notice a difference but for me, it was longer than that. I have also read that it doesn't work at all for some people.

BIG SIDE EFFECT!!!!                  I SMELL LIKE MAPLE SYRUP.
I did not read about this on any of the websites I researched. I had heard someone mention that before but it is TRUE. In fact, my clothes and my room smell like maple syrup. I am bathing like crazy and the smell does not go away. I guess it is in my body fluids (i.e. sweat, milk, etc.). It is kinda weird - my husband says I smell like pancakes!!  I keep telling him that it COULD BE WORSE! 

A friend of mine started Reglan (she has implants) and said it is amazing "like your milk just came in." I have not noticed a difference anything like that but I have not supplemented with formula for the 3rd day in a row... SO, I guess it is working just fine!

I would love to hear others stories including how it worked for them. Good luck to you!!

Heather
Mommy to Logan (10 years) and Luke (5 months)

annamum

Fenugreek again!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 23:24:25 pm »
I tried Fenugreek as a tea, I didn't really have problems with my supply but over a time it started to slowly diminish. Well, an hour after I took this tea I was nursing Anna and what a difference. I had a let-down immediately, while before I had it in 2 or 3 minutes. I also had a second let-down within next 7 or 8 minutes which hasn't happened for ages. I only take it now when my period is around the corner  :lol: .