Author Topic: excessive sick-up  (Read 1434 times)

Offline alibabe

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
excessive sick-up
« on: September 17, 2005, 15:11:16 pm »
hi,

i have a 14 week old baby boy (17lb 2ozs -a big baby boy!) who has been an excessive possetor since birth. he sicks up all the time - sometimes straight after feeds - sometimes up to 2 hrs later - which then comes up much thinner but with curds in and smelling off.  however, he doesnt seem to be phased at all by this even when it is projectile - it came out over cot 2 nights ago! seeing doctor on tues at advice of health visitor who suggested gaviscon.  nothing been done before as doctor & health visitor didnt seem to be bothered as he is putting so much weight on.  he is taking 8ozs easily - i know this might be too much, but he screams if doesnt get all the bottle! any advice or views please. he started nursery last week and even they commented on the sick up (getting through 3 changes of clothes a day! - was put in pink pants last week as had ran out of clothes for him!  is on cow and gate no 1 milk - tried no 2 & sma staydown but sick was like cottage cheese and still as frequent. also doing 2 breast feeds which equally come up! many thanks alison

Offline Samanthas mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
excessive sick-up
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 16:08:26 pm »
Hi,

I had an identical problem with my dd up until around 6 months. I constantly had the washing machine on as she was going through several sets of clothes a day and about 6 muslin squares!!!

My Health Visitor was never concerned because as with your little one my dd was putting weight on and it never seemed to bother her when she was bringing it back up.

They just put it down to the little flap of muscle part way down the oesophagus not being mature yet (which is the case with all babies I believe) - it's just that with some you get more of a problem with the milk coming back up.

My dd wasn't as big as your little one at 14 weeks but she was taking 7 fl oz per feed quite early on - although I can't remember exactly when. I think we both just have hungry babies who want more than their tummies can hold  :)  :)

I found that she just started to grow out of it especially once she started to sit on her own.

One thing I found helped a little bit was using Bfree bottles (formerly known as Dr Browns). You can get them from Boots or Mothercare from memory.

I think as long as your little one is happy and putting weight on I wouldn't worry about trying different formulas or baby gaviscon. It is a pain from the mess point of view but it will get better.

The above is just my experience and opinion - definitely see what your doctor has to say.

Good luck and I hope things improve for you soon
Sam's Mum

Offline alibabe

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
excessive sick up
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 19:24:39 pm »
hi,

many thanks for your reply.  i shall give those bottles a go. at present using avent . i think its true that its something we shall just have to persevere with till he has grown out of it.  many thanks for swift reply - i shall let you know what the doctor says. alison