Author Topic: Activities for a (nearly!) 6 mo?  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
Activities for a (nearly!) 6 mo?
« on: September 18, 2005, 20:27:33 pm »
Hello

I was just wondering what sort of activities we should be doing now. He still likes his toy bar, loves 'crinkly' toys, loves dancing with Mummy, and playing face to face games with Mummy. Has anyone any suggestions of things I can do with him / give him to play with (basically I want to know if I'm stimulating his intellect/development enough  :shock:  :shock: ).

Also, he doesn't really like playing on his own, and starts to whinge pretty quickly if I give him something to do on his own, or put him in his bouncy chair. Any suggestions? I don't want to end up with a lo who has to be carried and entertained all the time.

TIA
Caroline
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline M&M'sMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/t/thomastwinsicles/
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 20:48:40 pm »
Hi Charlie's Mommy,

My Lo's are 6 months tomorrow, and they love to go in their excersaucer, jolly jumper and bumbo chairs. When they are in the bumbo chairs they will just join me in the kitchen and watch me make bottles,do dishes,make dinner... They also just got a high chair/booster seat (the kind that sits on your chairs and ties to it, it has a little table like a high chair). They will sit in there for about 15 mins at a time with some rings and a few chew toys on the table- they also love when I take one of their baby face cloths and wet it with cold water and leave it on the table for them. I think it's the different sensation of the cold cloth.
I hope these ideas help!

Jody
Maisie Lyn Caroline (angel)
March 19/05 6:16 am
Makaylee Lyn Jennifer (angel)
March 19/05 6:21 am

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 18:51:33 pm »
Awww they're so cute  :D  :D .

Thanks for your reply - it's funny you should mention a bumbo, I've got one on order from Ebay, should be arriving tomorrow. I went for lime green  :shock: !

I like the idea of a cloth, but I know he would want to suck the water out of it - that's OK isn't it?

Thanks for your reply,
keep those ideas coming!

Caroline

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline M&M'sMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/t/thomastwinsicles/
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 22:47:32 pm »
The water is fine ( unless your tap water is unsafe??). I know that if the girls put the cloth in their mouth there is such little water it doesn't matter... besides in order to teach them how to use a sippy cup i have been putting 1 oz of bottled water  in the cup .... they get a neat look on their face when they taste the water... kind of like "hmmm what is that?" .

If you have a family pet this is a great time to teach them how to be gentle with it... when our pug goes near the girls he will sit nicely and let them feel his hair and I get a chance to teach them what "gentle" is.

Good luck entertaining.... the girls love going to the mall in the stroller, just watching people is a good activity, and when they get tired after about 2 hours of me walking around (good excercise if you stay out of the stores and just walk fast through the entire mall) I leave and take them home for a nap. The drive home mellows them out just enough for their afternoon nap.....

Take care,
Jody
Maisie Lyn Caroline (angel)
March 19/05 6:16 am
Makaylee Lyn Jennifer (angel)
March 19/05 6:21 am

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 10:11:32 am »
The Bumbo arrived yesterday, and it's fantastic! He thinks it's great to be able to sit on his own, and he looks soooo cute in it!

Thanks for your replies. I don't think I've been doing too badly, from what you've said, I was just worried I wasn't doing enough.

That said, if anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Caroline

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 10:39:35 am »
Caroline, you're doing fine.  :-)  At this point just let him be active (if he's like my ds, he's doing plenty of that!).  He learns from just about everything he does.  Let him develop his gross motor skills, fine motor skills, and learn cause & effect (even helping Charlie turn the lights on and off is a good 'game' to play).  Also, don't make everything too convenient for him... let him struggle a bit to get to his toys.  It'll help him develop his muscles for sitting and crawling.  :-)

My ds doesn't like to be on his own for too long, either.  It's frustrating because he wants me to hold him but it's because I walk him around the house so he gets to see so much.

He LOVES the mirror now (he could care less when he was 3 mo, which was supposedly when he was supposed to start liking it).  :?  He enjoys his exersaucer (though he gets tired pretty quickly... or maybe I put him in too late during his awake time).  He likes the bouncy chair except that now he's trying to get out.  He's really active now... likes to 'climb' things (with my help, of course) and he wants to move on his own so badly!

I didn't get the bumbo seat because I thought it was too much money to shell out for this thing.  I forgot to check out ebay, though. (I just looked into it now and I still think $25+shipping is too much.)
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna