Author Topic: PLEASE HELP - AM GETTING DESPERATE  (Read 1224 times)

Offline yellowkiwi

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 15, 2005, 04:31:23 am »
my 8 mth old son had been a 7pm to 6-7 am sleeper for months but got sick three weeks ago adn started wakign and feedign at night, he has been well for over a week but is continueing in spite of feedign im as much as he will eat and drink during the day and dream feeding him between 10 and 11.  he wakes up at about 4 when he has a diluted bottle which he seems incredibly hungry for (100 ml worth of powder in 200 ml of water) and then is up again at 6 or 6.30 but not really hungry for breakfast
I have massive my medical school final exams in 3 weeks and really need some sleep,

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
PLEASE HELP - AM GETTING DESPERATE
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 05:01:21 am »
Can you get someone else to deal with the night wakings so you can get the sleep for your exams, because I don't think you will be able to find a quick & easy fix... anything I can suggest will involve more time than it would take to give a feed.
It can take a few weeks for things to settle down after illness & 8mo is in the difficult 7-9mo frame.
With the feeding, he is probably not going to drop it on his own, try just offering water, he may decide it isn't worth waking for it or otherwise, you pretty much need to go cold turkey on it & do pu/pd to get him back to sleep... for advice on pu/pd, you are best to look at the forum for that, as I have had very little experience with it.
I have weaned from bf at that age (after illness ) & offered water, but it took about a week & still unsettled some nights for at least another week, from memory.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline yellowkiwi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 00:39:04 am »
its just me and my husband whi is also working his head off - so may try the weaning onto water.  do you always pu/pu or can you just sit there and pat/shush, hes 10 kilos and i'm only 48!!!

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
PLEASE HELP - AM GETTING DESPERATE
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 06:21:47 am »
I never did Pu/Pd, partly because I didn't know BW at the time, but also because patting worked. I know what it is like to have a big baby (both mine have been 8kg at 3mo & my first was 10kg at 6mo!
By all means do patting if you have found it to work. I just know from other mothers on this site that PU/PD really does work, while patting can get to be a habit, once lo's are past about 6mo.
Has water been working?
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline yellowkiwi

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 08:33:10 am »
he just stopped! no idea why, but is back to 6.30 wake up.  has now gone on a hunger strike and halved his solids intake!! can only assume its in compensation for having eaten everythign in site for the past two weeks.
thanks for the advice and support