Author Topic: pumping question  (Read 1392 times)

Offline lulu'smom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
pumping question
« on: September 18, 2005, 00:33:46 am »
HI all-

I started pumping this week. Rented aan electric medela pump. Works well, but my supply has seemed to dwindle. My breasts used to be almost too full (would feel them almost want to explode) and they seem almost empty after evn 4 hours of not feeding my son.

I have tried to replcae the time I pump with a bottle feed, so as to keep my supply up, but it doesn't seem to be working. 

***redstarfalling: no more problems with strong flow, however. Is Josee a nurse who also works at Lakeshore hospital? Because she was my nurse when I delivered and is a lactational consultant?

I have read previous posts on low supply- I don't really want to start taking a supplement or pills just yet...

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
pumping question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 13:40:07 pm »
Josee works at the CLSC, but she might have been at the Lakeshore - her last name is Paquin. She's very french, but speaks english fluently.  She has short brown hair and is super-nice.

You said that you're pumping - how often?  And when you say you're replacing it with a bottle - is it a bottle of EBM? (Because ANY formula will decrease your supply). If you want to keep your supply up, you need to nurse more often - like every 2 - 2.5 hrs during the day and at least a couple times over night (at his age).  When you say he's going 4 hrs - is that during the day?  Because at 6 weeks old, he needs to be eating more often.

I still think you should check the latch...are you still hearing those clicking noises?  How's the wet diaper count?  That's a good indication of how much he's taking in, as well as his weight gain.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Private

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 13:49:31 pm »
That happened to me as well....I started pumping at 4 weeks.  Pumping  can not get all of the milk that is "behind" the breast...only the baby  can do that.  You have to nurse more often or your supply will dwindle....your body gives as much as demanded....

Not as much demand, not as much supply!

Offline lulu'smom

• Showing Appreciation 0
pumping question
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 03:33:24 am »
During the day I feed him every 2.5-3 hrs easily. During the night on a good night he will sleep 3.5-4hrs straight.

It's weird yesterday my supply was great and today it is back down, I guess my breasts are just adjusting. They are very sore is this due to the pumping?

***Redstarfalling- do you know if the CLSC's in our area lend out electric breast pumps? I rented one at the Walmart in pointe-Claire, but at $2.25 a day it will become too $$$.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
pumping question
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 01:23:58 am »
As far as I know the CLSC's don't rent out the pumps - the Kirkland Walmart is the only place I know nearby that does. Why are you pumping so much, BTW?  Is it just to increase the supply?  If so, more frequent nursing works better.  If it's for the occasional outing, have you thought about buying a pump - might be better in the long run than pumping.

Milk supply can go up and down for various reasons - sleep, stress, fluids, baby sleeping longer at night or nursing more often...

When you say your breasts are sore, is it the breast or the nipple?  Yes, pumping a lot can do that, but it can be due to other stuff too.  Is it just one spot or all over?  How much are you actually pumping during the day?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha