Author Topic: Number of breastfeeds when back to work  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Number of breastfeeds when back to work
« on: September 18, 2005, 13:51:18 pm »
Hi all - I'd like opinions, please!  :D

I'm starting back to work tomorrow and I'm not too sure what to do about Megan's feeds to make sure she's getting enough milk (maybe I just want reassurance... :oops: )

6:30 am - bf
Solids at daycare: 8am, 11:30, with snacks in am and pm (she's started eating a little better)
I leave a bottle of EBM for her at daycare, but she rarely takes more than 1 oz all day  :(
5:15/5:30 pm - pick up from daycare
6:00 pm supper with us
7:00/7:30 pm - bf before bed
Usually one bf overnight

The last 2 weeks when I was still home, I was also nursing her at around 4pm when I'd pick her up from daycare, but I can't get there that early anymore.  I was worried that if I bf her at 5:30, she won't want dinner or the bf before bed.  I keep hoping she'll start taking more from the bottle during the day.  I'm willing to keep getting up at night (once!) if necessary, although it would be LOVELY to be able to sleep all night myself (something I haven't done in a very very very long time...).

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Schae

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 13:59:24 pm »
I'm guessing you've tried giving EBM in a sippy cup?
For breakfast, does she have cereal with EBM? Wouldn't that count somewhat to her milk intake?

I was under the impression that at 1 year of age, 2 milk feeds a day is normal.. :? So, I don't really have any other thoughts...

Good luck with going back to work!
Proud mama to
Luka 22 Feb 2010 Textbook/Spirited
Tiisetso 18 Sep 2010 Textbook/Touchy
and three little angels

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 20:13:31 pm »
Thanks!  Yes, I use a sippy cup with her (the Nuby one - it's the one she's been the best with and it's still not much!).  I also try with a regular cup, although most ends up down her front.  :roll: And as for the cereal, at daycare, they have different things, so she doesn't always get it (usually things like dry cereal, porridge, toast).  Even at home, she'll only take a couple of tablespoons of cereal on a good day. :?
Erin

Offline 15milner

• Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 21:03:43 pm »
When Matthew was at daycare and 11 months old

I got up half hour earlier than Matthew did, so I did shower, change etc.  Then I got him dressed and bf him.

I sent him to nursery with 2x7oz bottles of formula which he drank most of - my reason behind 2 bottles was that he wasn't a great water drinker, so i ensured that he was getting liquid during the day.  I think by then i said that putting whole milk on cereal was OK seeing as he was having it in homemade custard etc.

I bf  again before bed.

Hope that helps

Have a good day at work.

Alex

annamum

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 23:16:48 pm »
Erin,

I think it sounds OK. She is almost 1 year old, three times a day should be enough, especially if you take an extra effort and on your days off offer her more nursings. Is she eating any diary products beside your milk?

Offline Melissa (Sydney's Mommy)

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 15:27:07 pm »
A few more thoughts:

Trenton LOVES strawcups; he's not so fond of a sippy.  Have you tried seeing if she would like that? 

Sometimes I bf when I return home--if he is interested.  Trenton will then eat dinner and bf again before bed.  So, there are two feeds close together.  Not sure how much he gets.  Just thinking that if Megan's solid intake is fine during the day, let her get lots of bm in the evening.

I would guess that as long as she is eating other dairy, you're probably fine. 

Good luck with this transition!  {{hugs}}
--Melissa

Sydney, born September 2002

Trenton, born November 2004

Samuel, born November 2007

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 23:30:35 pm »
Thanks everyone!! Very reassuring. :D  Yes, Megan eats other dairy products - she especially likes ricotta cheese.  I've tried the straw but she hasn't quite figured it out - I'll give it a while and try again.
Erin

Offline Jrolph

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 01:11:00 am »
Hi Erin,

Nuby makes a straw cup that is insulated and it's spillproof.  My son absolutely love it and another thing is that the liquid stays up in the straw so they don't have to suck so much every time they want a drink.  You could maybe try that.

Jen