Author Topic: Need help for naps when out and about ...  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Lindy Loo

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • DS Jun 2005, DD Dec 2008
Need help for naps when out and about ...
« on: September 18, 2005, 18:12:07 pm »
Hi there

My 12 week old DS only began napping at all at around 6 weeks and then only ever had 30 minute cat naps in peoples arms.

I put him in his own room about 10 days ago and began PU/PD on Tuesday both for naps and at night. 
Amazingly he has taken to it really well however I still have a problem if we are out and about or at friends/family .... he still hasn't figured out how to send himself to sleep if unswaddled and not in darkened room.

Part of his problem is that he is so distracted by things going on around him so won't allow himself to drift off.  He will briefly doze in the car or on a walk but wakes the second you stop moving (even at a traffic light !! ).  Sadly he just lets himself get completely overtired and then screams  :?

How can I teach him to sleep independently ANYWHERE ??  I am worried that he needs to learn this skill before I go back to work and he is with a childminder.

Linda

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 19:26:33 pm »
Linda-
Don't have a whole lot of advice, but did want to tell you that I've been there too.  Katie is now 6 months old and will happily nap in the car (although only if it happens to be her nap time) and in the stroller, although not in crowded places (like the mall - I think she's afraid she'll miss something).  What I find is that as long as I keep her first nap intact for the day (or the second one if we have to be somewhere during the first) we tend to do ok for the day.  It will get easier as she gets older, and if my DD is any measure of it, your baby will get more flexible as well. 
HTH,
Erin

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 01:07:11 am »
Same with Katet, I found it was time and maturity.

We have a cottage, which prior to Brendan, we would visit a lot and spend weekends.  When Brendan was a young infant, I rarely went because he had such a rough time settling down in strange places.  BUT, when he was 5 months old, it improved, and we pretty much spent the whole summer up there.  His ability to fall asleep independently was fully set by 5 months old.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004