Author Topic: How are u getting your spirited one calmed down?  (Read 1953 times)

Offline MyBella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
How are u getting your spirited one calmed down?
« on: September 19, 2005, 01:16:26 am »
We used to have a great winddown routine at bedtime that got my lo completely calm.  Ever since we quit the paci I have not seen my dd calm.  I'm wondering what I can do to help her calm down before I put her down.  Now she bascially rolls around and fusses for about 20-30 min before falling asleep, and sometimes cries and I have to pu/pd.  It's been 2 weeks since we quit paci so I thought she would've figured out a way to self-soothe by now but that hasn't happened yet. 

2 questions for moms of spirited ones:
1) Does your dc get completely calm prior to naps/bedtime?
2) If so, what do you do?

I should add that even rocking does not soothe my lo, nor my holding her.

Thanks.
Beril
(Mom to Isabella Bilgi born on 2/24/2005 - Textbook/Spirited)

Offline KCW

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 04:59:23 am »
I've never tried to get my girls to complete, almost asleep kind of calm, just un-wound.  You say she's a spirited one; if you can put her down and she calms herself and goes to sleep (by fussing or any other means) within 20-30 minutes without calling to you for help, that's awsome!  I'd try to get her as calm as possible without prolonging the routine, then let her go to sleep on her own so she learns to be an independent sleeper.  If you have to do pu/pd every once in a while, so be it.  She'll learn to go to sleep on her own with the help of your consistency and reassurance.  Sounds like you are both doing great!
Kaycee

Mom to
Very Textbook Elizabeth, born 7-15-2003
Very likely Textbook Renae, born 8-2-2005

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 05:05:44 am »
KCw - that is similar to my situation - i let olivia get there on her own (she soemtimes goes straight to sleep without a peep, sometimes she fusses, sometimes she mantra cries) she always goes in the cot fully awake (not even drowsy) and she takes between 2-20 min to go to sleep. i only go in if she starts crying out and then it is to check if she is ok or has pooped (a common part of our issues, so i change and resettle her and leave)

unless she is truly upset i woudl leat her squirm, fuss whatever - it is part of them unwinding themselves for sleep.

if she is cryng often i woudl say you are putting her down too late.  if i don't wait untul olivia is OVERtired then she will always go to sleep without a hitch.  now sleeping more than 45 min that is another post...  :roll:
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline GraysonsMommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 13:37:19 pm »
I agree with Debra, maybe try putting her down sooner to prevent being overtired.  My son who is 16 weeks is very spirited and we just took the pacifier away less than a week ago.  He was VERY dependant on it and surprisingly, is doing pretty good, after a few awful nights and days.  Over the past two nights, he's calmed down on his own quite a bit, but for a spirited child, I consider calm to be when he's not kicking and flailing his arms and legs all over the place.  He still arches his back and twists as soon as I put him down.  He doesn't really let me get him too calm beforehand.  This has been the routine:  I turn on the same lullaby CD, close his shade and sit with him in the glider in his room.  This lasts all of about 2 minutes before he starts fussing vocally.  It's like he knows whats coming and is saying, "All right, let's not drag this out, let's just get it over with, ok?"  tee he he.  So, I don't waste any time, as soon as he lets out his first fuss, I bring him to the bed and put him down.  I turn down the music to almost inaudible and like clockwork, he arches and starts talking very seriously to his bumper above his head.  He will then start to cry, so I do p/u-p/d and it seems to be that 4 of these is the magic number.  After the 4th p/u-p/d, he just lays there with his eyes open looking at the bumper, but finally calmly, and I sh-sh-pat him to sleep.  I do this with my whole body very close to him (one arm over the length of his body and the other in front of him, holding his hands). I then keep one hand on him for about 2 more minutes and stand by his crib through the whole ten minute cycle so I can calm him through the jolts.  Once his breathing is calm, I can leave.  I also visit him at each REM sleep cycle, because he's been waking during naps.  If I catch him before the big jolt, he stays asleep.  I imagine over time he will get better at doing things himself, but we just took his pacifier away less than a week ago, we stopped feeding him in the middle of the night, and we started a DF, all at the same time.  I would say this is pretty good considering how my second and third days/nights went.  He's really doing great.  So maybe your lo just needs something consistent, with a little more help from you for a while.  I am slowly decreasing the length of time I pat him and it's working.  He's even waking up playing and cooing in his bed in the mornings.  I have been able to leave him in there for a good 20+ minutes before I have to go to him.  This has NEVER happened before now.  He's becoming more confident on his own and I think it's because we consistently do the p/u-p/d and sh-sh-pat until he's out.  I wish you luck, this is a tough time.

Jessica
Grayson born 5/28/05
A Spirited and slightly Touchy little guy

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/luckylot1999/6f36d4a2.jpgimg07610qs.th.jpg[/img][/URL]

Offline ashersmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 15:28:55 pm »
Hi Beril---I recognize you from the "support group for Spirited babies".  Thank you for posting this---I have the EXACT same issue.  DS NEVER lets us calm him...it's a horrible cying that lasts ATLEAST 1/2 hr EVERY night.  My DH just committed to helping me with PU/PD---and we're going to read up on it for a couple of days and then start Wednesday.  Good luck!  Keep me posted on any success you have!

Beth

Beth
Mom of Spirited Asher

Offline MyBella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 23:46:14 pm »
Thanks for the responses, ladies.  It's good to know your experiences are similar.  I don't know if this is typically of spirited babies, or just having any kind of baby, but dd will display a particular habit for a while, and then suddenly change it and I can't seem to get back to it.  Starting around 8 weeks and lasting through about 4 weeks ago, when we still had the swaddle and the paci, dd could get calm.  Now that we've lost that I keep trying to get it back, but may be I just need to let that go, and accept that today is a new day.

Re putting her down earlier - dd's bedtime is already 6pm, and I put her down around 5:40-5:45 to allow her time to fuss.  I don't think I could put her down any earlier without having her wake up at the crack of dawn!
Beril

Offline GraysonsMommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2005, 11:59:10 am »
Yeah, 6 is an early bedtime, is there any chance it's too early for her?  I know, it's all a guessing game.  Grayson does the same thing with starting a habit and then suddenly changing it on me.  His newest thing is to talk to the bumper in his crib, above his head, while I'm sh-sh-patting him and it's hard for me to keep a straight face and say sh-sh without cracking up.  It's so cute!  It also means he's getting close to falling asleep, so he's addapted this interesting way of acknowledging his pending sleep.  I'm sure by next week, he will be doing something different.  he he  Please let me know, if you find anything that helps!

Jessica
Grayson born 5/28/05
A Spirited and slightly Touchy little guy

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/luckylot1999/6f36d4a2.jpgimg07610qs.th.jpg[/img][/URL]

Offline Mrs Pickers

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 16:20:31 pm »
Hi Guys

My baby is a v spirited 16 week old. We have always had her on easy but had got into bad habits with shush/pat and rocking but stopped the rocking about a week and half ago. We now sit with her for 5 mins singing lullaby's and then put her in the cot and shush pat until she is droopy eyed. (This sometimes include 1 or 2 pu/pd)

However, this now longer seems to be working as well, especially not for the third nap of the day - the last 5 days I have battled with her for about 2 hours to get a nap before her last feed and bath (and I know she is tired, maybe overtired?). It is like one of the other ladies in this string said, she kind of knows that the lullabies now mean sleep and she's climbing up me, kicking, arching her back and mostly really screaming so I can't even get her calm enough to put her in the cot This afternoon she started crying as soon as we got into the nursery - what do I do??? Do I put her in the cot even tho' she's not calm? I really thought I'd got it but now I'm flummoxed.

Any advice greatly received

Rosie

Offline MyBella

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 15:32:30 pm »
Rosie,
It sounds to me like you're lo is overtired by the third nap.  I know that my dd can stay up longer from wake up for the day to first nap but less and less for the subsequent naps.  If possible try to put her down a little earlier and see if that works better.  Also, with my dd I've given up on trying to get her to calm down before putting her in the crib.  Instead I go through the routine and put her in wide awake and let her take as much time as she needs to fall asleep.  Some days that's five min, other days a half hour.  If she fusses I hang back and only interfere if she starts crying for me.  But I feel like being an independent little thing she just needs to do it her own way. 

The other thing to consider at this stage is the transition from 3hr EASY to 4hr EASY.
Beril