Author Topic: Pacifier Use  (Read 1343 times)

Offline Micky R

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Pacifier Use
« on: September 15, 2005, 16:48:11 pm »
Hello!  I just received Tracy's book and love it!! I know it's the answer to my prayers.  Jordan is 7 weeks old and has been sleeping on me or with me basically since birth.  Insane, I know, but it's the only way I could get any sleep. He seemed to have a lot of gas and never seemed to settle.   We started the EASY program yesterday, without reading the whole book and getting the whole picture, but Jordan hasn't slept on me or with me since.  What a blessing.  Maybe my fiance can finally come in off the couch and actually sleep with me again!!  Jordan sleeps in our room as he was an afterthought and we don't have any room for him to call his own.  My older children are 10 and 12 and are a huge help.  My question is, how do I make use of the pacifier?  Is it okay to "prop" it in his mouth when he's grunting and groaning in his sleep, almost uncontrollably it seems, or do I let him settle himself?  At times he can, but often if I don't get the paci in soon enough, all heck breaks loose. If I can get it in there, he settles quite nicely for a much longer nap.  Also, any tips for travelling?  We do travel alot to visit all the grandparents or to shop ( we live in a rural area)..sometimes he's in his carseat for longer than naptime should be.  Thanks for all the help and encouragement.  I love this site!!...Micky

Offline balani

• Showing Appreciation 0
Pacifier Use
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 18:25:22 pm »
My baby boy (12 wks) sometimes grunts and groans in his sleep. I do use a pacifier to help him calm down when he first goes to sleep, but he usually spits it out before he falls asleep, and I remove it once he's asleep if it doesn't fall out. I don't put a pacifier in his mouth while he is sleeping because I don't want him to start waking up if he doesn't have it in his mouth. Instead if he is very fitfull in his sleep, I will pat him on his side or shoulder for a few minutes (up to 10). Unless he is hungry, he will calm almost instantly, and stay a little longer than that for good measure.

Hope this helps.
Brooke

Offline Micky R

• Showing Appreciation 0
Pacifier Use
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 21:43:35 pm »
Thanks Brooke for the reply.  It's just nice to know that I might be doing things right.  We've been on EASY for a week now and I am grateful things are going pretty good.  Some good days and some bad....the bad occurs mostly when I miss the cues!  Thanks again...Micky

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
Pacifier Use
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 21:56:31 pm »
Just wanted to second Brooke's advice.  You definitely don't want to be replacing the paci when it falls out.  Sounds like you're getting things worked out...great job!
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06