Author Topic: 9 mo old - Crying starts at beginning of nap wind-down  (Read 1030 times)

Offline joules

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
9 mo old - Crying starts at beginning of nap wind-down
« on: September 19, 2005, 05:52:31 am »
My 9 mo. old dd has started to cry the minute she realizes we're winding down for naptime.  We had been doing a wind-down routine consisting of quiet play for a few minutes, then read a book, very slowly walk down to her room (shades already drawn), put in sleepsack and into crib (drowsy, but awake). 

It had been going SO well for a couple of months but all of a sudden, starting this week, she just has a meltdown as soon as we start.  I try to calm her by walking around or just holding her, but she just is inconsolable.  On the times I have been able to get her calm enough to get into her room, she loses it again once she is in her crib.  I try to calm her in the crib, but she either continually sits up or stands up getting more and more hysterical.  I have tried laying her back down each time she sits up or stands up, but she just continues to scream.   

I don't know what to do??!!  I can't figure out what has changed.  I feel like a total failure and I can't console my own child  :cry:

Her usual day goes something like this:

Between 7/7:30 - Wakes & plays in crib for 15 min. or so
7:30 - Nurse
8:30 - Breakfast (solids)
Between 10:00/10:30  - Nap (approx. 1.5-2 hours)
12:00/12:30 - Nurse (not usually hungry right after she wakes up)
Lunch an hour later
Between 3/3:30pm - Nap (1-1.5 hours)
5:00 Nurse
6:00 Dinner
7:15 Bath
7:45 Bottle
8:15 Bed (working on moving to 8:00)

Nightime sleep has been fine, and so far hasn't been affected... but I fear it will be if we don't figure out the nap issue.  She goes down beautifully at night - in the crib awake and falls asleep by herself in 5 or 10 minutes.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks.

Offline Melsy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 51
9 mo old - Crying starts at beginning of nap wind-down
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 07:46:13 am »
Awww... sorry you are having such a hard time!  Big ((((( HUGS ))))) to you!

All I can think of is this can be the time when some seperation anxiety starts.  Play as much pee-a-boo etc. games as you can.

The only other things I can think of are:

* development milestones are many around this age - she may not want to go to sleep because that is less "practice" time for her.  Just be as consistent as you can be.

* just try tweaking the routine a little.  Even a slight increase in A time was all we needed sometimes.

* teeth???

* try and wear her out as much as possible so she is really tired!  If you hold onto her hands, will she "walk" around??  My ds used to love doing this and would wear him out good!

Don't know if any of that helps, but all I can suggest is that you try and be as consistent as you have been doing, and I am sure it is just a phase or you will figure out what is up!  All the best,

Melissa.
DS#1 - Aidan born Sept 2004
DS#2 - Callum born Feb 2008
DD#1 - Eloise born Sept 2009

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSYHndn/]