Author Topic: What finger foods to give for mealtimes?  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Catharine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
What finger foods to give for mealtimes?
« on: September 19, 2005, 05:55:21 am »
Hi,

My dd is starting to not want to be fed, especially when it comes to her fruit.

What can I give her that is easy for her to pick up & easy to chew for main meals and desserts?
Cheers,

Catharine

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 10:58:39 am »
DS's favourite is cheesy eggy bread.  Which is like french toast but with grated cheese as will.  You only need the tiniest amount of oil/ butter to fry it in and has milk and cheese in it.

Lumps of fruit, veg and meat are also popular plus breadsticks and dips (homemade).
Jenny

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 11:47:02 am »
at that age alex had plain pasta as a finger food (use spirals, large penne or other larger pasta pieces), also toast /sandwiches, well steamed veggies - broccoli florets, peas and corn niblets, carrot slices, etc

for fruit - at that age it was all finger food for her - ripe pears, coin slices of banana, chunks of melon, halved grapes, slices of strawberries, anything really!

alex was a big finger food girl so almost anything became self serve for her at that age - she woudl eat bolognaise sauce with her hands (v.v. messy).  as long as she wanted to try, i let her and most things that you might "feed" her she can feed herself although it may be messy.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline carolyn

• Showing Appreciation 67
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 13:40:58 pm »
At 1 year, john liked anything he could eat by himself:

pasta
veggie chunks (steamed until soft)
fruit slices
cheese toast
tofu fingers
boiled egg wedges
string cheese
crackers

If the fruit is too slippery, coat it with crushed cherrios or bread crumbs.
carolyn
John's mommy :-)

Offline sandraorion

• Showing Appreciation 93
  • Albuquerque, NM
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 15:37:21 pm »
Anything, his whole meal is finger food! Heck, Adrian even considers yogurt finger food. ;) He is trying to learn to use spoon and when he had enough of trying to manuver the spoon, he dunks his free hand into whatever he is eating: cereal, soup, yogurt, and goes from there.

Now, he gets his meal and he eats it on his own. When he stops feeding himself, I help him, if he allows it.

As for the "proper" figer food, I now use pretty much what we are eating, just cut into pieces. The exception is banana. He is fascinated by the whole peeling banana process and prefers to break the pieces by himself. ;)

Sandwhich: you can either make a toast and spread it with something, or make a sandwhich with cheese, some lean deli meat and tomatoes and gill it as you would grilled cheese sandwhich (I put it in George Forman grill).

Pasta is always favorite. You can have meat/vegetable souce, creamy souce. Yesterday, he had vegetable Lo Mein.

Cheese slices, crackers, diced fruit and vegetables, scamblled eggs are good choices. Something like baby carrots, I don't even bother cutting. He manages them on his own.
Sandra, mom to Adrian - July 30th, 2004 and Nina December 4th, 2007

Offline Catharine

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 19:03:28 pm »
Thanks everyone!  :)

How much do you give your LO at each meal? How do you introduce a new food to them & how long did it take for your LO to accept it?

My dd seems to only like to feed herself toast, biscuits, cereals & bananas but everything else goes in the mouth, gets chewed but gets spat out.
Cheers,

Catharine

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 02:42:05 am »
there is a great portion size chart in the announcements on this page...i found it soooo helpful.

How? nothing different besides putting it on the tray.  Try to offer a good number of times then give up for a few weeks and try again.

If she likes bread stuff then try: whole wheat waffle, w.w. pancake, muffins - our favs also include cheese cubes and tofu.