Author Topic: Moving to end of crib while swaddled?  (Read 1901 times)

Offline JWB's Mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Moving to end of crib while swaddled?
« on: September 15, 2005, 17:05:06 pm »
My 4 month old moves to the end of his crib every night at 5:00am (while he's swaddled) and starts crying when he gets to the end and can't move further. I pick him up and move him back to the center of the crib, put my hand on his chest to calm him, and he goes right back to sleep (he may not even be awake but cries out).  I guess my question is whether this is habitual waking, or a sign that I need to start weaning him from the swaddle, or should I just be happy that he's sleeping so well, other than this once a night episode?

Thank you!
Julie

Offline mattandcindy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 17:20:18 pm »
Is he getting out of his swaddle? Or just staying swaddled and scooting to the edge of the crib?
4 months was when we weaned my dd from her swaddling and she did great. I would say if he is getting out of it then definitely wean, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Cindy

Offline JWB's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 01:20:32 am »
Sometimes he gets out of his swaddle but most of the time he's still swaddled while he moves. I'm going to try the Aussie swaddle this weekend. Thank you for your encouraging words!

Julie

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 07:09:24 am »
4mo is a big developmental time & in many ways you will probably need to 'ride it out' He will work out the size of his crib eventually & settle into moving around in his sleep, with out waking up.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline JWB's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 01:19:04 am »
Thank you for the advice. Yes, 4 months seems to be a big developmental month for my son - he's making new noises and movements and is starting to giggle loudly! I tried the Aussie swaddle and he made the transition beautifully - but this is the first night I'm trying it - hopefully, I'll get some sleep!

Thank you!
Julie

Offline mattandcindy

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 16:37:03 pm »
Julie-
How'd it go?
Cindy

Offline JWB's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 16:47:24 pm »
Hello! Well, Monday night was okay. He woke up at 3:00am and started talking to himself, so I went to peek in on him and he was totally unswaddled out of the Aussie swaddle (I'm sure I did something wrong with the swaddle!). I re-swaddled him in the Aussie swaddle and he went right back to sleep until 4:30am at which time he started crying loudly. He wasn't unswaddled and was exactly where I laid him down. He wouldn't calm down with patting him on the back and actually got more agitated/hysterical. So I picked him up and he continued screaming (which is really rare for him - he usually calms after a minute of patting). I put him back down in his crib and continued to pat his back for 5 minutes and he calmed down and slept until 7:15am! But last night was wonderful! He slept from 7:45pm until 6:00am without a noise! (But, of course, I was up at 5:30am checking to make sure that the monitor was working!) At 6:00am he just started talking a little and then quieted down and went back to sleep. I got him up at 7:00am and he was just laying there smiling at me.  I hope we've rounded the corner! Thank you so much for the advice and encouraging words! It helps so much!

Julie