Author Topic: Paci a prop or growth spurt @ 4 momths?  (Read 1666 times)

Offline newmommyof2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Paci a prop or growth spurt @ 4 momths?
« on: September 19, 2005, 13:20:21 pm »
I posted this in the props message board, too.  Wasn't sure where it fit.

This is my first post with my new son, who is now 4 months today!  I have been a BW follower since my first son, Peyton (textbook), was born in March of 2001, then with my daugther, Lauren (spirited), who was born in 2003 and now with Jonah who is now 4 months. I don't always have the time to post because my work keeps me out of the office but I do read often. I can't imagine raising my kids without BW. My older two kids have been independent sleepers @ around 3-4 months--all because of BW techniques. I think someone referred to it as the "bible"--it is in our household. Any problem that comes up, I run for my "bible". I wish I had had Tracy's latest book with beautiful spirited daughter--I needed lots of advice.

Anyway, I will get to the point. I am a little confused. Jonah just turned 4 months today. He has been sleeping through 7:30 pm - 7am with 11 pm df since he was about 11 - 12 weeks. Great night sleeper. He has always had short naps but have been extending them with pat/sh for weeks now. Last week, out of the blue, he started waking up every 1 1/2 hours after about 1 or 1:30. I fed him the first night at the 4am wake up. But then did not want to start something that I didn't want to keep up. So, I thought. . . it must be a growth spurt. So, I increased bf times in morning and night (feed on both sides) then added an ounce to each bottle. So, now he is getting bf @ 7, 9 oz @ 10:30, 9 oz. @ 2:30, then bf @ 6:30, df @ 11. BTW, he is about 17 lbs.--big boy! I really don't want to start rice cereal until 5 - 51/2 months. So, I have done this for about 6 days with very little change in night wake ups. They are erratic. And, he is now waking 45 minutes - 1 hour after he goes to bed. My next thought is the paci. All of his wake ups take very little calming--as long as I popped in the paci, he would go right back to sleep. There is so much going on at this age. He is also trying to roll over onto his tummy and often when I go in there, he has is feet straight up and is holding his toes.

So, what do you all think--is it the paci or is he not getting enough to eat? I am ready to give up paci if I need to. Espceially after reading your posts, I think if I (and my mil who is daytime caretaker) can stick to it for a few days, it won't be a problem. BTW, last night I let him fuss for about 1/2 hour and it just got louder and louder. I couldn't tell if it was a mantra cry or a real cry. Any suggestions on telling them apart? Thanks for any guidance!

Jennifer
Peyton (3/11/01) Textbook
Lauren (3/31/03) SPIRITED
Jonah (5/19/05) Textbook
Jennifer

Love being a Mom to
Michael Peyton (03/11/02) Textbook
Lauren Elizabeth (03/30/03) Spirited
Jonah Isom (05/19/05) Textbook

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 16:52:52 pm »
It definitely sounds like a paci issue to me.  I'm not sure what  you're hearing on the other board, but that is definitely something to wean if you are ready.  You'll get some good advice and support on the props board when you begin!

Sara
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 00:32:47 am »
I agree, with Sara, my almost 4mo is much bigger than your lo (was 18lb at 3mo) & he feeds less than that & sleeps 9-11 hours, so I am inclined to doubt it is food related.
I think it is either developmental - waking to practice, or the Paci & that is really the only variable you have control over.
best of luck.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline newmommyof2

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 17:01:51 pm »
Thanks for your guidance! After two nights and one full day without the paci--we are already doing better, although, I did add a cluster feed.  So, with the one extra feed and no paci, the first night he slept all the way through until 7 with only shhh/pat to sleep. Naps were extended and the next night he only woke once and was easily helped back to sleep with shh/pat. Hopefully, we caught this early enough and by tomorrow the paci will be a distant memory for him.  Lauren helped me out lots on the props board--so thanks to everyone!
Jennifer

Love being a Mom to
Michael Peyton (03/11/02) Textbook
Lauren Elizabeth (03/30/03) Spirited
Jonah Isom (05/19/05) Textbook