Author Topic: How to get DS to eat more during the day?  (Read 1788 times)

Offline snowangel

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to get DS to eat more during the day?
« on: September 19, 2005, 13:26:41 pm »
Until around 11 weeks my lo was going to sleep at 7:30- 8:30 and sleeping through until 3am for feeding then up for the day at 7am. Pretty pleased with only having to get up once in the night. For the past few weeks (he's now 14.5weeks and 11lb 2oz) he's gone back to getting up at 11pm, 1am and 4am hungry. So I figure I need to get extra calories into him during the day. But I'm BF and if he's not hungry he's not hungry and won't feed - I'm already feeding him pretty much every 2-2.5h - if I feed him more often aren't I teaching him to snack?

Thanks for any advice!!!

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 23:50:30 pm »
How long has this been going on?  If it's only a few days, then it could be a growth spurt.  Also at this age, they tend to get very distracted by the world, and it's harder to get them to take a really full feed.  Have you tried feeding him in a dark, quiet room when he's just woken up?

The other possibility is that he might be getting ready to go LONGER between feeds.  I know some moms find that as their lo's approach 4 months old, they start waking more because they're eating too OFTEN during the day.  I personally didn't find this too much, but others have sworn by it.  What's the rest of his day like?  Is he also napping well?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline snowangel

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 09:56:27 am »
Its been ever since we stayed at my MIL's house about 3 weeks ago...grrrr!!!

Hmm....I guess he could be wanting to go longer - as the last few weeks he's also not been looking like he's really ravenous, but I feed him anyway thinking that if I don't get the same number of feeds in the day then he'll wake up at night. Maybe its having the opposite effect.

He eats at around 7, 9, 11.30, 14.30, 17.00, 19.00 with bed at around 19.30. I'm trying to work on his naps at the moment - he's not an easy napper and is easily overtired.

The last couple of days he's been looking hungry immediately after I feed him but screaming when I offer more food. And been more refluxy. Last night he had a really green poo too - so I guess he's not getting enough hindmilk. Everything seems to be going wrong at the moment!!!  :roll:

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 01:19:06 am »
OK, if he's getting green poo, then he may not be getting full feeds when you're feeding him.  Are you single side feeding or double side?  I had trouble with this early on - and it can cause some uncomfortable gas pain too....could be mistaken for reflux...

Starting at the start of the day, try to really get a full feed - use breast compression, put him back on the first side after a burp if you have to.  I know I had to single side feed for a while to stop the green poo, but I'd hesitate to recommend that if you've not been doing it already.  Then, you might want to really try to stretch it to 3 hrs until the next feed - if you can.  He might be one of those kids who needs to feed more often - you're his mom, so you'd know better!  I ended up doing the same breast 2 feeds in a row for a while, when I was feeding every 2-3 hrs, until I got rid of the green poo. I'd do 2 feeds one side, then switch to the other, to make sure I was really emptying one breast.

But if you say he's not napping well, I wouldn't be surprised if he's using your breast to help himself settle for sleep...  Have you tried posting your whole schedule on EASY or naps to see if they have thoughts? Are you feeding him right before sleep and how long is he staying awake before his first nap? You might need to work on the sleep at the same time as trying to get full feeds.

Let me know if any of this helps or not!
Erin

Offline snowangel

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 08:46:20 am »
Thanks for your reply - I've been single sided feeding for a while now - but as you suggest I've been putting him on the same side for a couple of feedings to make sure he's getting all the milk out. I think his feeding issues are all wrapped up with his naps and night sleep - sometimes I think he's hungry but too tired to eat, and other times he's too tired but giving off hungry signs cos he just doesn't know what's what. Very tricky. I'll try posting my routine on the EASY forum and see what they suggest. Thanks again for your help!

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 22:38:24 pm »
Anytime - please let me know how it goes and if you have more trouble! :)
Erin

Offline Alyn Davis

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 18:12:09 pm »
I posted in the sleep section, but I have just found your issue, Snowangel, and am experiencing the exact same thing with my DS who is 13.5 weeks old. We have had 4 days of different behavior.

Nighttime:
He went from one waking a night to the same as yours 11, 2, 5am or 1am, 4am. Anyhow, its a drag because he used to drop off at 9pm and sleep until 3 or 4am, eat and back to sleep until morning. Even sleeping a coupld 8 hour stretches last week.

Napping:
He also used to be fairly predictable with his naps, going about 40 minutes most of the time, and doing it 5-6 times a day. Longer naps only if we are running errands (in motion) or have been in the car for an hour before getting home. The past four days it is all over the map. Friday he slept like a log (in stroller good chunk of day) but even when we got home he just kept sleeping (and went 5 hours between a feed!) Sunday he actually slept for over an hour in his crib, then Monday he hardly slept for more than 30 minutes each naptime - and it was usually during feeding (which he hasn't done since he was a month old).

My question is - its been going on for four days. Is this a growth spurt? Could it be related to his having a very slight cold which is mainly in his chest (coughs occasionally now, but was very listless last Friday and Saturday). Or is he not getting enough to eat and enough sleep?

Sorry so confusing -
Mother of Ames
p.s. also, anyone know anything about how much drooling is too much? or if it is a sign of something?

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 18:52:30 pm »
It does sound like he is in a growth spurt. Feed him when he is hungry, it will boost your supply for him to eat more often.

The drooling starts around then because it is a safety mechanism to keep the germs out of their mouth when they start mouthing everything they can get their hands on. My dd used to drool through her bibs and clothes, I'd have to change her during the day.

Please remember that listless behavior usually warrants a call to the doctor. Does he seem ok now?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 22:12:53 pm »
ME TOO!!!   Jency has been doing the same things and he is 12.5 weeks old.  He's been dong this for the past week or two.  But he doesn't have the green poop he only poops 1-2x a week.

One person told me that it could be due to him changing as well as me starting my cycle.

have you started your cycle yet?
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08