Author Topic: what to do with your breasts when giving a bottle of express  (Read 989 times)

Offline mykonos

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
what to do with your breasts when giving a bottle of express
« on: September 19, 2005, 15:10:32 pm »
Hi there,
This is going to be my second time around at breastfeeding and I plan on giving one bottle a day of breastmilk so my husband can feed our daughter when I am back at work part-time. My question is, what do I do with my breast/milk as my husband is feeding her if I am at work (teaching) and cannot stop to express as I work a four hour stretch without a break? Do I express when I get home and give her that milk the next day, or do I give her that rather large breast at her next feeding?
I am not due for another two weeks, but I want to be prepared to introduce the bottle at two weeks as Tracy's book suggested.
Thanks,
Lori

mommytsa

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 19:07:38 pm »
I understand where you are with the "can't express at work" thing.  I am also a teacher, but I work a 7.5 hour day (8.25 with the drive in and out).  I express before I leave for work and as soon as I get home.  When I come home I generally try to feed him first, then I just express for comfort, and to get enough milk for 1 of tomorrow's bottles (he has 2 while I'm at work).  The second bottle I get from expressing before I go to work that morning.

So basically, I express when I come home for tomorrow's bottle.  HTH!

annamum

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 02:34:44 am »
I think you will figure it out by yourself when you are in that situation. You will see what is comfortable for you and your baby and decide based on that. Making any decisions right now is difficult as our babies tend to be unpredictable, especially at an early age. Whichever way you choose, you will be fine.

Congratulations on your new baby!

Offline Eden's Mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 22:09:11 pm »
I would have expressed as soon as possible and then given it the next day last time. I think Anna;s mum is right though. wait and see how you feel. as a teacher myslef, i know that expressing is difficult at work. Biggest fear - beeing too engorged and leaking on my clothes at work! never happened though. :D
Clare
Eden:

Noah:

Jude: