Author Topic: should you darken a room while a newborn naps  (Read 1803 times)

Offline mykonos

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
should you darken a room while a newborn naps
« on: September 19, 2005, 15:16:11 pm »
Hi there,
I am expecting my second child any day now and was wondering if it is better not to darken a room while a newborn naps so they learn the difference between day and night, or should they learn to associate all sleep with a darkened room?
Lori

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 17:45:08 pm »
I think it really depends.

The research is mixed on this. Some say open up the blinds, keep a lot of light in the room during the day. Others say keep the room dark.

Spirited/Touchy babies prefer a dark room; it's easier for them to sleep in. Textbook and easy babies I think can go either way. If you want to keep the room dark, be sure to open the blinds and keep the house bright when it's time to wake up. Make a production out of it if you want, but at night, keep things very low key and calm, barely any talking, dark rooms, as little light as possible when you feed. You'll want to keep things low key right before naps too. Eventually I think he/she'll get the idea.

Hope this helps!

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline kellyhushhh

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 19:12:37 pm »
If i could have done one thing differently it would have been during the day to put ds to sleep in the daylight, in his pram outside or in his nursery with curtains open. I have a major problem now in that he will only sleep in the dark in his cot. I would encourage you to get him used to sleeping in different places during the day or you will find it hard to get out and about as baby will find it difficult to sleep as he will be so used to a darkened room or if he does sleep it will only be for half an hour or so. I am lucky that when he does sleep in his cot he sleeps for 1.5 hours each nap but if i want to go anywhere i end upwith an overtired baby as he cant sleep in his car seat or pram.  Kelly xx

Ps plus it cant be healthy for a baby to be couped up in the nursery all day, get some fresh air into them and they will thrive!! ( as my nan keeps telling me!!) :)
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/j/judeethan  PASSWORD JUDE

url=http://lilypie.com][/url]