Author Topic: Which Issue to tackle first? HELP!  (Read 1060 times)

Offline ashersmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Which Issue to tackle first? HELP!
« on: September 19, 2005, 15:39:39 pm »
Hello--  I was hoping for some advice on how I should go about sorting out a few issues with my DS.

DS is a Spirited baby who used to be on a great 3 hour EASY.  He is almost 4 months and about 2 weeks ago began taking ONLY 45 minute naps.  So I thought it might be time to begin transitioning to 4 hour EASY.  It actually worked great for about 2 days...but now he's back to 45 minute naps...so we don't actually have a routine anymore.

And as for nighttime, he has never settled himself to sleep.  We used to give him a paci, eventually stopped that cold turkey, and then began rocking him to sleep.  Now, as soon as we sit in the rocker he screams a very unhealthy blood-curdlling scream until exhausted after about 40 minutes or so.  This is with EVERY night!  As for naps, he cries...but not nearly that way or that long.  DH and I decided it's time to begin PU/PD.  We will begin in a few nights, as we want to make sure we are WELL educated so we do it correctly!

Is it okay to work on naps AND PU/PD at same time?  Will this be too stressful for DS?  Do I do PU/PD to try and extend naps...or can I continue to try and see him through his jolt and/or pat/shh (neither  of which usually work!)

Sorry this is SO terribly long...

Thanks for any advice!

Beth
Mom of Spirited Asher

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 16:20:13 pm »
Hehe, you don't know a long post until you've read one of mine.

The first thing you want to tackle is night sleep, I think. Get him sleeping 10-12 hours at night if you can, with a feeding if needs be. If he's sleeping straight through till morning, great!

As for naps...it sounds like you're going through the normal 4 month nap hiatis. I just went through it. I'm afriad he may take 45 min naps for awhile, depending on how well he adjusts to his new schedule. The most you can do is do your best to extend his naps, keep him as rested as possible, even if he's taking 3-4 45 min naps a day. This is a phase and will pass, but it may take a few weeks to sort itself out. His daytime sleep is developing, and with it, naps often get messed up and there's not much you can do to fix it but ride it out. Use whatever method you use to soothe, being careful not to create any new props (easier said than done, right?).

If pat/shh doesn't work through jolts, just use a hand on his back or shoulder area/tummy and legs/bum area. Don't say anything unless you know it helps soothe. Just pin him to the cot the best you can, but don't apply so much pressure it hurts, obviously. This still may not work, but it's an option you can try.

Just hang in there, believe me it will pass. Feel free to vent if you need to!

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline GraysonsMommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 19:25:25 pm »
Every baby is different, so I don't know if this will work for you, but I tackled everything at once.  I treated naps and bedtime the same, I took away the pacifier, lengthened naps, added a DF and elliminated night feedings all at the same time!  Our second night was hell, I actually had to climb into the crib with him, but since then, it's been getting better very quickly!!  Check out my other thread, "This REALLY does work", I detail most of my experiences there. 

Whatever you decide, my best advice is to stick with it, no matter how bad it gets, don't cave.  The key is to get over the rough hump and stay consistent for the baby's sake.  It will work!

Jessica with Grayson - 16 weeks
Grayson born 5/28/05
A Spirited and slightly Touchy little guy

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/luckylot1999/6f36d4a2.jpgimg07610qs.th.jpg[/img][/URL]