Author Topic: cluster feeding a newborn  (Read 2349 times)

Offline mykonos

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
cluster feeding a newborn
« on: September 19, 2005, 15:46:22 pm »
Hi there,
A quick question about cluster feeding a newborn. On one page in Tracy's book it says to cluster feed at 6 and 8 and on another it says at 7 and 9. The routine has the last normal feed at 4. I know I sound a bit anal, but My routine with my first child was a nightmare and I really would like to start easy CORRECTLY, and I have the rest of the routine memorized.
Also, if you give your baby a catnap as suggested between the cluster feedings, you have to wake them up to feed obviously, and then which time period is considered the last activity phase of the day - after the first cluster feeding or the second?
Thanks,
Lori

Offline shellkendall

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 03:07:24 am »
I am new at this myself, but I am pretty sure she refers to the two differnt times depending on weather or not you are doing a 3 hour EASY routine or a 4 hour EASY routine.  Not too sure, though???

I am also pretty sure that the last activity of the day is after the first cluster feed when you give the baby a bath.  It says to put the baby back to bed with no activity after the second cluster feed. 

I wonder too about waking the baby after the second catnap (the shorter one).  It seems to me that this feeding is a dream feed as well as the feed at 11 p.m.  The only difference is that I try not to wake her at the 11 p.m. feeding and am not too careful about waking her at the second cluster feed.  However, she does suggest merging the cluster feeds at 8 weeks. 

Hope this helps & much luck to you with EASY.  I need it myself!   :wink:
Shell

Gigismom

cluster feeding a newborn
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 15:59:32 pm »
well, in my experience, my dd NEVER did anything at the "right time" according to the book.  try not to get too hung up on times.  i know it is hard.  i am a very "by the book" person, but my baby wasn't.  i tried by best to keep to a structured routine and feedings.  but sometimes things were off.  i tried not to worry too much about time frames, but more on the routine part of it all.  if you are off routine by an hour or so, don't stress.  i was off by that mush so often i forgot what my original routine was anyway. 
the best advice i can give you is just to have an idea of how you would like things to go, but also follow your baby's lead to an extent.  it is a balancing act.  it will take a few months for you to get a good routine going, so don't feel too bad the first few months as you try to get it down.  believe me when i say the book makes it sound a lot easier than it is.  and virtually no baby does everything in the exact time frames that the book lays out.  i think tracy even acknowledges this several times.  she just gives the times as an example.
i highly recommend tracy's methods, but cut yourself some slack in the "figuring it all out" phase.  you will learn what your baby needs.  i know i may sound too lax, but that is how i was with my baby and she was on a good (but never perfect) routine by 2-3 months and today at 9 months has an awesome routine.  good luck.