Author Topic: Early Wakings  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Angelique

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 19, 2005, 20:37:53 pm »
My 10 month old son has begun to wake at 5:45 am and won't go back to sleep. 

He sleeps very well with two naps during the day and a bedtime of 7pm.  He started waking at 6:30 then 6:15...afraid it will continue to get earlier!

I have been trying PU/PD for the past week which I do until 7am when he is meant to wake up.  No success, he is completely awake.

Any Advice?

Offline sara_derek

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
    • family homepage
Early Wakings
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 01:19:20 am »
Hi there!

Here's a thread you might want to check out, dealing with the same thing!

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/how-do-you-wake-baby-for-wake-to-sleep-vt40301.html?sid=bb02b7054ca7186fc3ca9f72a5e00cd2
Canyon 12/27/02
Christian 7/4/05

Angel#1 12/23/01
Angel #2 5/23/06
Angel #3 11/27/06

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Early Wakings
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 02:42:29 am »
How long are the daytime naps?
Does he wake up happy? If so he may be getting his quota of sleep by 5.45am
You may find it is unrealistic to expect him to go 12 hours over night & have 2 good daytime naps as well... if they are more than an hour each, you probably need to cut back on them to get more night sleep or make bedtime a little later
Also a very active am, can help prolong night sleep.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline mlhy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 19:00:43 pm »
Sadly,

I'll have to agree with Kate. Your 10 month old has given you some extra luck with the naps, the early bedtime and sleeping late but sounds like development has come to catch up with your sweetie pie. Probably it's just more sleep than needed at that age.

I'd set the bedtime a wee bit later (gradually), or just get ready to party in the early morning.

The more I read the night wakings posts the more it seems babies are wanting to get up at 6:30 ish, rather than 7 or later. I see this starting with babies around 5-6 months. At  6.5 months we've got a 6:30 waking girlie and PU/PD wouldn't work since she's happy, alert, and there's no crying around.

Best wishes to you!

Gigismom

Early Wakings
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 19:35:40 pm »
we have tried everything we can think of but our 9 month old still gets up at 5:45, sometimes earlier, sometimes a bit later.  it is torture isn't it?!  she started waking this early around 6 months and is happy upon waking, so there is really nothing that i can do.  the main thing i fear right now is that when the time changes next month, she will be waking at 4:45!!

Offline Little Dot

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Early Wakings
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 07:55:28 am »
Hi Kate or anyone else. Wonder if you could explain a bit more about an active morning and how that helps early wakings or how I could make bedtime a bit later, without my dd getting over tired, in order to help the early morning wakings.
My dd is 10 months and we have always struggled with night wakings but  when I manage to sort these through the wake to sleep method she ends up waking as early as 5am! If I then go back to doing wake to sleep for this 5am waking we just get the night wakings back. To cut a long story short, whatever way we do it she seems to just want 10 hours sleep. She has 2 good naps in the day both of an hour at least. This is how our day looks. Do you think the day naps need tweeking a little? I think she could probably cope with a shorter morning nap:

If she wakes at 6.30/7 her nap will be at 9.30 ish and will be anything between an hour and an hour and a half.

Lunch at 12

Milk at 2 ish

nap at 2.30/3 ish usually until 3.30/3.40

Tea at 5

Bath 6.30

Bottle and bed by 7.

If she sleeps through but wakes at 5/5.30 than she is ready for her morning nap much earlier and the whole day goes to pot with her having 3 shorter naps!
Wonder if I am also expecting too much or if there is something I can do about the day naps.

Sorry for long one. Hope you have some suggestions or even if it is to tell me this is probably the way it is going to be!!:shock:
Thanks
Kate

Mum to Erin (22.11.04)

Offline cata

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 18:07:54 pm »
Hi Little Dot,
I'm in your same boat. DS is 10 months and has been sleeping through for a week now!  :D  BUT, waking to start the day anywhere between 5-6am.  :shock:
He never was a great sleeper, therefore, I'm greatful when he sleeps through.
Today I set my alarm clock at 4:30am to try Wake to Sleep, but it only rang at 5am...when I went into his room: He was already awake!!!!  :evil:
I will try again tonight (tomorrow morning), hope it works!
How is it going with you?

Offline Little Dot

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Early Wakings
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 18:59:15 pm »
Hi cata

Great your DS is sleeping through.:D It's wonderful isn't it?
My DD is also sleeping through quite well at the minute (touch wood!) and like you I'm grateful for that because she has never been great at sleeping all night without some assistance! I can cope with a 6am wake up but 5.30 doesn't seem to be quite enough for her even though she has woken up. I think she finds it difficult to go back off that time of the morning and she ends up needing that morning nap much sooner, meaning the rest of the day's routine is all different!
I really think she only needs another half hour but I've never managed to stretch her even with PU/PD because she's not really crying. When I do wake-to-sleep at 4.30, which I have tried many times, after a few days 4.30 ends up becoming her wake time and it takes me a long time to get her back to sleep. She may sleep until 7 but it may have taken me an hour or two to get her off. Sorry to sound confusing! Do you know what I mean?
I have noticed lately, however, that her daytime naps are changing slightly so wondering if they are merging into one long one so perhaps everything is changing again anyway! Someone told me that when that happens, often they sleep better at night and a little later in the morning.
Just waiting for a response to see if theres anything else I could be doing to get that extra half hour/hour.
Maybe with the good naps and early bedtime/sleeping through, I have to accept it's not all that bad really!
Please let me know how you get on with wake to sleep because maybe it's something I could try again.
Good luck x
Kate

Mum to Erin (22.11.04)

Offline cata

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 14:12:42 pm »
Hi!
Last night I didn't give tylenol to ds, and....we had 2 night wakings. Second waking was before 1am, so I gave him some tylenol.
Then, I did Wake to Sleep at 4:15am. Next time I heard him was 6:45am!!!!  :D
Tonight I will give him his tylenol before bedtime, and will Wake to Sleep again at 4-4:15am.
I'll let you know how it goes.

:wink:

Offline a_astorga

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Giorgio Barone 02/01/05
Early Wakings
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 21:13:40 pm »
What is wake to sleep and how do you do it?

My 8 month old is also waking up at 5 am and and he goes to bed at 7 pm. Ive tried to extend his bedtime but still wakes up early. No matter at what time he goes to sleep he wakes up very early.

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Early Wakings
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 02:17:53 am »
Little Dot.
What I mean by an active morning, is keep your lo as stimulated as possible as well as keeping the AM Sleep shorter than the PM one. What can happen (& did with us) is if the morning sleep is too long, or too close to the morning wake up, it actually robs sleep from the last sleep cycle of the night, thus a 5am wake up.

What I would suggest is lengthening the morning awake time (age appropriate awake time 3-4 hours) & keeping the AM nap to no more than an hour (PM one 1-1.5 hours) so that you can maximise the amount of sleep overnight. Even if she wakes at 5am, you need to keep that nap at no earlier than 9.30am.

Wake to sleep works by changing a regular night waking habit, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will work for an ealy waking if the total sleep needs are actually being met in a 24 hour period... so you have to shift the times of sleep. If your lo wakes from sleeps & is happy most of the time, then wake to sleep for a 5am start to the day, most probably won't work, as your lo is getting enough sleep each night, you will need to Tweek the day night ratio.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05