Author Topic: Launching into song instead of eating  (Read 1367 times)

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Launching into song instead of eating
« on: September 20, 2005, 02:24:58 am »
Lately, almost every time I feed dd, unless she's starving, she starts singing as I call it or babbling every minute or so.  Even starving, she'll start chatting after eating for a few minutes.  It's taking forever to feed her, and then she's looking all over the place, even if I give her no distractions.  I'm wondering if this is developmental.  Like they start talking more and being more aware and so it's not so important to eat.  Of course, this makes getting a lot of food into her a chore, which it was already.  Anyone else's LO doing this?

Offline Tonya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 19:39:29 pm »
oh yes!!! :lol:
Wait till they start crawling/walking!!! :shock:   It becomes REAL fun then!! :evil:

Mealtimes may take longer, but just relax and enjoy the time you're spending together!! :D
At least she's happily sitting there, and not crying!!  If she's signing/babbling, she must like it! :D
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline GraysonsMommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 14:02:29 pm »
I'm going to post my own thread here about this too, but I'm having similar problems.  Grayson will be 4 months on the 28th and he just started pushing away his bottle after about 4 ounces.  He normally takes 7.  He even does this with his morning bottle, which confuses me, because he's gone 7+ hours without eating by that point!  He will sometimes talk and coo, he will sometimes grunt and he always starts fiddling with the bottle.  It's like he just figured out that he can control something, so he does.  Bottle in, bottle out, coo, bottle in, bottle out, look around, oh, feeding him is exhausting and looooong!  He won't take any more than the 4 ounces some times which is now concerning me, because he's also waking at 3 and 5am.  I don't want to get back into the habit of feeding him through the night, but what do I do if he isn't taking all of his feedings throughout the day?  Do you have this problem too?  Grayson is on a 4 hour schedule also and still doesn't seem to need food more than 4 hours apart, even when he's not taking it all.  It's strange, he weighs about 15 pounds.  Is there some sort of slow down at this point or something?   :shock:

Jessica
Grayson born 5/28/05
A Spirited and slightly Touchy little guy

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a214/luckylot1999/6f36d4a2.jpgimg07610qs.th.jpg[/img][/URL]

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 14:05:57 pm »
yes yes me too!  :(
it doesn't help that as all this is going on Ethan has also moved from the 9th to the 2nd percentile.  :cry:
i have taken to feeding him more often and sometimes through the night, our schedule is fried!

Offline rebecca-isabella mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 14:26:30 pm »
Yes we are having this problem with Isabella. At first i found it really bothered me but now i think she is really funny!! I think its the age they are at - its obviously way to boring sitting still eating!

Sometimes i wonder if  Isabella would notice if i didnt feed her at all! She never cries to be fed anymore!

Rebeccaxx
Rebeccaxx

Mummy to Isabella Grace 22.05.05
Very very spirited/textbook

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 01:56:43 am »
That is so true with us.  She sometimes will fuss a little bit if it's been 3.5 hours or more, but then I give her the bottle and she's done after only a small amount.  I've tried feeding her with distractions, which sometimes helps.   And then sometimes it makes it worse.  It must be developmental.  And she's 14pounds and still eats 2x at night.  The DF and then another.  I cannot get her to eat more!  Plus now she's been constipated, so the doctor told us to give her 2-3oz daily of apple prune juice.  How am I supposed to fit that in when she doesn't even eat all her bottles!  It's been a struggle to say the least.

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 19:51:11 pm »
my health visitor came today to see Ethan.  she said that at this age babies are more efficient eaters AND that likely as Ethan is BF, after he drains all the foremilk he doesn't like waiting for hindmilk and starts to look around (or complain)
i have to offer him the other breast which he then drains as two helpings of foremilk quench his thirst enough that he can get properly stuck into stimulating a letdown of hindmilk.
maybe that's just my lazy lo but i thought it was an interesting explaination that might help some of you.