Author Topic: Travel and time change  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Cambo

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Travel and time change
« on: September 20, 2005, 06:05:24 am »
Hi Everyone,

I am new to Babywhisperer and have just started pu/pd with my 4 month old.   Our naps and nights are just starting to get a bit better.  I want to know how to manage the 6 week holiday, that involves a 5 hour time change(19 hours really-Iam living in New Zealand and am going home to USA for x-mas).  Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent/manage any problems we may encounter with sleep/nap times?

Offline davis's mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Travel and time change
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 00:13:12 am »
Hi there!

I took my (then) four month old on a trip from California to the UK (8hr time difference).  We just went cold turkey on the time change.  As soon as we got off the plane, I behaved like it was the time it was in the country we were in and 'forgot' where we came from.  It was too big of a time change to adjust his schedule by 15 minutes or so a day leading up to the trip.   Actually he did really well.  It took him two days to convert when we got to the UK and five to convert when we got back. 

We did his wind down routine at the same time (7PM) in the UK as in the US and had meal times at the same time.  Obviously follow you little one's cues and don't try to keep them up if they really need to sleep or deny them food if they need it.   I fed my son every 4 hours regardless of if it was day or night if he was awake and 'asking' for it.  I didn't do PU/PD without feeding him at night if he woke up.

Another thing that helped me was taking my son out on lots of outdoor walks during the day and being really strict about keeping it dark when it was nighttime.  The light, or lack of it, helped him realize it was day vs night etc.

Another bonus was that I was the least jet lagged I have ever been when traveling between the US and UK!  Getting little sleep in general makes time differences a cake walk for an adult  :D

Good luck!

Jill (and baby Davis)

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
Travel and time change
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 01:22:25 am »
Cambo, I had the same question about the time change and how my lo will adjust.  I will be taking a trip with an 8 hour time difference in a couple of weeks.  I asked people who had travelled in the past (non-BW'ers - their babies are now adults) and they told me that the babies had no problems with the time difference.

Normally I'm a big worrier but I've have decided that I will take things in stride when the time comes... if I need to.  :-)

When you return from your trip, let us know how it went and I'll do the same.  8)  Have a great trip!!
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline deenz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 50
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 08:01:29 am »
We travelled with my dd when she was around 15mo to South Africa from NZ.  This was a 10hr time difference, so almost the 'opposite' time.  We also tried to do the time change cold turkey.  We found it easier to land at the destination at the start of the day, so we had a chance to get some sun, have a couple of naps and try to stay awake til normal bedtime.  That's not to say dd slept through the night at all!  We just tried to keep night time very low key, even when she was wide awake.  It was hard, but it was worth it to be seeing family.  Good luck!