Author Topic: Please help me sleep longer.  (Read 1083 times)

Offline a_astorga

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Giorgio Barone 02/01/05
Please help me sleep longer.
« on: September 20, 2005, 15:06:53 pm »
Hi,

My son is 7.75 months old and he has been changing his sleep routine for the past 1-2 weeks. I've been waiting to see if it'll change again to how it used to, but no go. So here's the thing:

5-5:30 am wake
6-6:30 bottle
7-7:30 solids then bath
8-8:30 nap used to be 2-3 hours now it's 1.5-2 hours (more 1.5)
11-11:30 bottle
12:00 solids
12:30 nap used to be 2 hours now 1-1.5 hours
3-3:30 bottle
4-4:30 nap used to be 30 min. now 45 min- 1 hour (usually 45min.)
5:30 bottle
6-6:30 solids
6:30-7:00 bedtime

12:30-1:00 bottle
Then wakes up at 5, before used to wake up at 6ish am.
Sometimes he wants to eat at 4:30-5 am or he has a crappy diaper. So that wakes him up and he yells 1-3 times a night for about 30 sec. then goes back to sleep. Sometimes I have to go in and hold him for a couple of mins. and then I put him down again. Why does this happens? he yells like he is so scared or in agony. So no good sleep at all.

We hear him cry at least twice a night and then at 5 am.
So the crying like he's scared started about 1.5 months ago, then cooled down a bit and then again these past couple of weeks.

The thing is it is so hard for me to go back to sleep when I wake up so often. For example the other night he woke up at 11 pm then around 12:30 am, fed him and I think I went back to sleep like at 2:30-3 am.

So any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

PS
I see no signs of teething yet.

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 05:22:55 am »
Hmm... I don't know what advice to give about the crying at night. Have you spoken to his doctor?  I don't think it's because he's scared.  Did you by any chance recently move him into his own room?  Can you think of any changes that happened recently?

As for the time shift, it could have been caused by any number of things though you probably shouldn't have just left it alone to fix itself (it rarely does).   :wink:

He may be ready for a switch to 2 naps per day.  Also, if 5 AM is too early (which I would say it is) maybe you can move his bedtime just a little bit later, at 7:30.  Also, the switch to 2 naps per day should lengthen his nighttime sleep.

After you wake up, do you do anything else or go straight to bed?  I know when my DS was an infant and I was waking up to feed him and then pumping, I would be awake for at least an hour and a half if not 2 hours.  But, to be honest, I would log onto this site while pumping.  :oops:  I finally decided that I had to stop that because it was making me more awake.  I slept a lot better.
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline a_astorga

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Giorgio Barone 02/01/05
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 13:16:34 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Well, he has always slept in his own room since 2 weeks of age. The doctor thinks that his yelling might just be separation anxiety.
I can't really think of any changes that have caused his routine to be different. The only new thing is we got him a toy about 3 weeks ago where he stands and plays, the toy holds him up. So he does stand a lot.
And about the 2 naps a day it's very hard since he cannot be up for more than 2.5-3 hours. So if he wakes up from his afternnon nap at 2 and goes to bed at 6:30, thats over 4 hours. How do I do this? At 8 months how many naps should they have, what is their max awake time? how many times should he wake up to feed in the middle of the night?

Also, his bedtime really depends on what was the time he woke up from his 3rd nap. Then it's like 2-2.5 hours after that. usually 2.

Thanks