Author Topic: Need to Wean but DS won't drink formula  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Jrolph

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Need to Wean but DS won't drink formula
« on: September 20, 2005, 18:54:37 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I have just been asked to come back to work early which I am having a really hard time with, but it got me really thinking about weaning my DS.  I have been trying to get him to drink formula out of a cup but he really doesn't like it.  He drinks water out of a cup fine although not a large amount since he is still breastfed.  I am planning on dropping his mid morning and afternoon feeds since he will be at the babysitter for those and if need be I wil breastfeed him at the other feedings.  My questions is, how can I get him to drink the formula, he just won't and he likes to have a drink before he has a nap (doesn't fall asleep eating just likes a full tummy)  I am really stressing about this because I don't want him to starve at the babysitters.  Can anyone please help.  I thought I had until the middle of November to get this all figured out and now my boss wants me to come back to work in a couple weeks.  All this stresss can't be good for me.

Thanks for any help given,
Jen

Offline {{{Angela}}}

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 12
    • pillowhead designs - hand embroidered goodies
Need to Wean but DS won't drink formula
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 02:02:54 am »
Have you tried mixing the formula with some breast milk?  When I started ds on cow's milk at 11 months, I gave him 1/4 cow's milk with 3/4 breast milk.  It is hard to get used to the taste so gradually I increased the cow's milk over a period of a couple weeks.  Will he take breast milk from a cup?
Angela
mommy to Xavier and Zinnia

hand embroidered goodness at http://pillowhead.etsy.com

Offline kathrync

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
won't drink formula
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 09:08:42 am »
Hi Jen,
Was just reading your posting. Have you tried getting someone else to give your son the bottle/ formula. I haven't weaned my son yet (still Bfeeding), but when I did start to introduce the bottle (I expressed), he wouldn't take it from me at first so my mam came over and gave it to him.
He did scream at the beginning so I just had to leave the house (was too upsetting). I know it's not quite the same, but you may find that he will take it from someone else and when he is used to it will then take t from you. Remember he is probaby thinking, "what is she trưing to do? this isn't what she normally feeds me!"
Hope it works out for you.
Kathryn :D