Author Topic: Unable to find thumb to soothe  (Read 1483 times)

Offline mxv124

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Unable to find thumb to soothe
« on: September 21, 2005, 02:53:07 am »
Hi everyone!

Wondering if anyone had any insight on the following:

My LO is now 8 weeks, he has started finding his fingers but is unable to find his thumb to soothe himself.  He then tries to put his whole fist in his mouth.  Funny to watch but sad to hear him get frustrated and then I have to resort to the pacifier.  I believe its disrupting his nap times as he becomes wide awake (but looks tired).  He's tried on occasion to put his fingers in but then ends up gagging on them.

Thanks in advance!
Monica
Mom to Rajan born 7/22/05

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 04:52:55 am »
Oh boy, I can really relate to this!!  Do you swaddle him at all?  Maybe you can try the aussie swaddle and see if that makes a difference.  He'll be able to bring his hand to his mouth but won't gag on his fingers.

My DS found his finger.  Unfortunately he 'lost' it much more often than not.  I think my swaddling him (not the aussie swaddle, btw) for too long and during the time when he was trying to find his thumb made him lose on the opportunity to use it as a soothing technique.   :(  :(  He did need to be swaddled, though, so what's a mom to do?
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Kherzy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 18:08:46 pm »
My 7 week old daughter is doing the same thing.  Since she was born she has tried to suck her fist or fingers but just can't keep them in her mouth.  Several weeks back in the middle of the night I heard her sucking away (her crib is in our room) and I was appalled to think she hadn't spit the binki out yet.  I went to her and there was the binki lying on the bed, it was too dark to see what she was sucking on, if it was thumb or finger or fist but I was amazed.  Of course she has not done this any other time since then but it gave me hope.  I still swaddle her but with her hands up by her face, but a bit more tightly around her arms so they can't flail about.  She sleeps on her side so they end up right in front of her mouth.  I hope this way if she ever finds her hand again she will be able to suck on it.  We'll see.  I'm glad to know there are others going through this phase too!
Kate

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 18:12:20 pm »
Hi Monica-
I would give it some time.  My DD is a thumb sucking addict at present time, but was not able to find her thumb until about 3.5 months.  Before then, she would want to suck on something, but couldn't really find anything that worked - and she would never take a pacifier - I generally resorted to letting her suck my finger, but eventually she found her own and was a much happier baby.
Hang in there and it will get easier :D

Offline mxv124

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 21:16:50 pm »
Hi!

Thanks for the input!

Right now I am swaddling the LO but only from the waist down, his arms are open at his sides. 

I'll try the Aussie swaddle and see how it works!

I'm currently using the "Soothie" pacifier.  I was given one by the lactation nurse at the hospital but both another 2 pack at the store.  They're sold under the "First Years" brand and I found them at Target. 

Thanks!
Monica
Mom to Rajan born 7/22/05

Offline Smarti

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 21:38:30 pm »
We're right there with you.  My little man gets swaddled with hands by his side because when he does "escape"  he either gets upset tring to find his fist or when he gets it he doesn't like it.  I am tring to phase out his soothie but hard when tring to go to sleep.  Once he is asleep he doesn't need it.
Lov'n b'n a Mama
Spirited!