Author Topic: Low Stimulation Activities  (Read 5551 times)

Offline virginiad

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Low Stimulation Activities
« on: September 21, 2005, 08:02:42 am »
I keep seeing that you shouldn't stimulate your baby too much. so what are considered low stimulation activities?

Virginia and Maddy

Offline alison toms mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 40
  • my little bundles of trouble
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 13:34:51 pm »
I think it depends on what time of day it is and what type of baby you have! If my LO is quite awake he loves his bright playmat (with things dangling in his face) if hes tired, however, he'll cry if we put him on it as he finds it over stimulating. He also finds it over stimulating if we swap his activity (ie take him off his mat and sing to him etc). At night we tend to just pop him in his chair to look around until he gets tired but generally I think If babs is happy you arent over stimulating them! :D
Alison

Offline virginiad

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 21:44:36 pm »
Still wouldn't mind finding out what people think are low stimulation activities. All the activities that I can think of seem to me to be stimulation, even reading, depending on the book.

Virginia and Maddy

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 01:32:51 am »
I agree that all activities are stimulating to a certain degree.  But some will get your baby more worked up then others.  Walking in the stroller, or in your arms and looking at trees or the sky etc. is very low key.  You could also try massage, or listening to music and swaying.  I have put a blanket on the grass in our backyard, and we just lay there and look at the sky and the wind blowing the trees.  Also book reading, but I find that not having anything in her face, ie: books, me, activity mat, are the best things for low stimulation.

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 20:59:34 pm »
DD loves to watch me fold laundry. :lol:
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline chell

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.
  • Showing Appreciation 94
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 21:03:48 pm »
How about slow dancing and singing?
An obedient soldier fights a fools war

[img=http://www.images/t4.gif=http://www.images/t4.gif]http://www.babywhis

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 23:50:59 pm »
2 things distinguish low stimulation to me

1) no bells and whistles.  the less "going on" the better for those times when you need a low stim. activity - try letting lo play with a stuffed dog (they can feel the texture, bite it, squeeze it, etc), a block or 2, things that are not in their face making noises etc - they can control how much they do with it.  i also put olivia sitting looking out the window at the trees, birds, etc which fascinates her but it is not too intense...

2) as explained to me by a nurse - WE are what make many things stimulating.  if you put lo down with toys (any kind) but leave it to them to decide how to play with it and which ones... then they shoudl be ok - it is when you shake toys at them, interact while they are playing, etdc that the stimulation increases. so the difference is there if you give THEM a squeaky toy to explore VS. you sitting there squeaking that mousy toy at the saying "look at the mouse, BLAH BLAH BLAH"

hope that helps a little
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 11:04:05 am »
Quote from: Kayna
DD loves to watch me fold laundry. :lol:

William loves to sit in his chair and watch me do any of the chores I have to do and often justs drifts off to sleep as I do them. I always knew washing up and laundry and making his bottles were boring jobs - guess Ive got the proof now as he falls fast asleep.

Ive just bought Will one of the Fisher Price Aqariums for the side of his crib. He finds that very soothing - in fact so do I and you can make it very stimulating with bubbles and lights and music or nice and low key with just the lights and the sound of the sea. He loves watching that as an activity before sliping effortlessly off for his nap.

Helen xx

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 20:36:40 pm »
Quote from: Ennypen
Ive just bought Will one of the Fisher Price Aqariums for the side of his crib. He finds that very soothing - in fact so do I and you can make it very stimulating with bubbles and lights and music or nice and low key with just the lights and the sound of the sea. He loves watching that as an activity before sliping effortlessly off for his nap.

Helen xx

Wow do we love that thing.  Katie turns it on now in the middle of the night when she wakes up and it puts her right back to sleep.  My husband swears that somewhere in the world are parents who can't get to sleep without it after having used it for their baby for so long  :D

Offline Ennypen

• Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 21:26:37 pm »
He he I so agree

My hubby and I find that we are soothed to sleep by the lovely aquarium music - but we are jealous that we can't see it from where it is in the babies crib. He often sets it off by accident in the night by kicking the button but I doubt it will be long before he figures out what to do to do it on purpose. I think the fisher price aquarium should be on every new mom and dads wish list - its a god send!

hehe Im sat here going "bom bom bom bom bom bom... twinkle twinkle little star.... etc etc " zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz