Author Topic: How to Wean??  (Read 1086 times)

Offline Jrolph

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
How to Wean??
« on: September 21, 2005, 12:14:15 pm »
I recently posted that my DS won't drink formula in a cup and I have that struggle but I was also wondering how I can start to wean him when he does.  My boss wants me to come back early starting very shortly and I don't know what to do.  My DS was on a pretty good schedule but it has been thrown out the window because he keeps waking up at night now.  I have started to give him solids before breastfeeding him now and he BF's before naps because he likes to have a full tummy.  Our day currently goes like this. (since he is waking at night)

5:00 BF
7:30 Wake for the day
8:00 Solids
9:30-10 BF & Nap
11-11:30 Wake
12:00 Solids
2:00-2:30 BF & Nap
4-4:30 Wake
5-5:30 Solids
6:30 Bath
7:00 BF
7:30 Bed

He wakes usually twice a night to eat but even if I feed him more during the day he still wakes up.  I would like to breastfeed first thing in the morning but then he won't eat his breakfast and he likes to eat before his nap so the feeding are too close together.  Which feed do you think I should get rid of first?? Probably the one at 9:30 I am assuming since if he wakes at 5:00 it's like he is getting his first feeding then.  I would like to continue breastfeeding for a while but would like to replace the daytime feeds if possible.  I am hoping to wean these over the next couple of weeks since I have to go back to work part time.  My DS also drinks water so will he be okay with that if that is all he will drink.  I guess it's all experimental and I will have to start trying soon to get him to drink something other then breastmilk but he really doesn't want to drink it.  I know you aren't supposed to give cows milk before a year but I might try switching him to that instead of formula.  I have tried giving him a bit already to make sure he wasn't allergic and he didn't have any reactions to it so I think I might just switch to that instead of trying to get him to take formula.  He doesn't really like  that taste of that either so if anyone has any suggestions to get him to drink that.  I don't really want to express because I have never had any sucess with it and it takes me an hour or more just to get a few ounces.  With an almost 10 month old I don't really have the time to sit and pump since I use my down time to get some household chores done.  Sorry this is so long but I am kind of lost as to what to do.

Thanks for any help

Offline bheemeryck

• Showing Appreciation 2
How to Wean??
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 21:02:13 pm »
Have you looked into renting an electric pump from your hospital/health unit/pharmacy? I was not aware you could get these from the hospitals, and they worked really well for me when I had to pump a 5 days supply for my DS.
Our pediatrician has a different view on the whole cows milk before a year issue... he feels that as long as the child is getting a varied diet, eating solids well, and is eating a variety of meaty DAILY, then he is okay with beginning to wean onto milk at 8 months. I know this is not what the current recommendations are, and I've questioned him, but he's the head of pediatrics at the University Hospital... so I figure he must have a good basis for this recommendation. I'm not saying to go and feed your child milk, but if you are confident they are getting a sufficient intake of iron, he may be okay?! I'd do some reading before you make a decision either way, or maybe someone else on this forum has some info??

Also, have you tried straw cups or the soft sippi cups? My DS prefers a straw cup, we thought he would not take a sippi cup either. Other than that, that's all I can think of to suggest!!
Becky
Mom to Alex(01-26-2005)

Offline Jrolph

• Showing Appreciation 1
How to Wean??
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 11:54:02 am »
Thanks for the reply.  My DS will take water from almost anything but he will not drink milk from any of them.  My DS doesn't eat meat because he refuses the stuff fromt he jar so I have been trying to give him some off of our plate and he will eat that.  He also has Iron fortified cereal twice a day so I'm not concerned about the iron.  I guess as long as he is gaining weight well I shouldn't be concerned.  I have just got to wean him off of one of his daytime feeds, I just know that he is going to make up for them at night now which is terrible.