Author Topic: Problems after 3 or 4 oz  (Read 3245 times)

Offline ~BeckyD~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 67
  • Devon, England
Problems after 3 or 4 oz
« on: September 21, 2005, 12:21:03 pm »
I know there are a lot of posts about lo's with this problem but can't really get my head around it, and not even really sure what reflux is(if it is that), heres my lo's issue,
has always fed fine, no probs taking bottle and as he has got bigger has no probs bringing wind up, but in last few days he will (with mosts feeds now) take about 3 or 4 of the 6 oz from bottle, then start pushing bottle out and whinging.  We wind him and then try to get him to take some more but he wont take anymore unless we stand up with him and walk around or rock him stood up. I am not sure if it is something like reflux why the standing up would help?? and also he is around 14lb now so too heavy to stand up feeding! Can something like this start after 11 weeks of problem free feeding?  I aways assumed they were problems that occured from newborn? I am really confused!
Any advice would be gratefully recieved.
Thanks

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Problems after 3 or 4 oz
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 14:18:09 pm »
It sounds like he just might be getting bored.  You could try a faster flow nipple if you haven't already.  Or maybe try feeding him more face out so he can see what's going on around him.  Also, a lot of times babies will go through little phases where they take less than they use to.  Let us know how it goes!  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline ~BeckyD~

• Devon, England
Problems after 3 or 4 oz
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 16:07:53 pm »
ok, so just got back from a car journey where(i know prob shouldnt have but..)fed him in car seat whilst travelling and took the whole 7oz without once fussing? so would be interested to see what people think of reason for that?

Offline Lucysmom

• Showing Appreciation 118
Problems after 3 or 4 oz
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 16:17:38 pm »
Hi - My daughter also started doing the exact same thing at 11 weeks.  I switched to a faster flow nipple/teat and that helped a bit.  But I think the main issue was that I was still feeding her every 3 hours and she just simply was not hungry.  This was the first indication that she was ready to start moving towards the 4 hour EASY.  Is it possible that he is just not hungry?  Don't know what your feeding schedule is but just thought I would throw it out there.....just too bizarre that my daughter did the exact same thing at 11 weeks.  :D

Offline albertasweetpea

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Our Dolly Molly - October 2007
Problems after 3 or 4 oz
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 16:31:34 pm »
Hi there cullybex (hmmmm trying to figure out that nickname...LOL) - my DD did the exact same thing, around 11-12 weeks. I fretted about it for a week or, tried everything from walking around with her, changing formula, having her checked for reflux etc...and finally discovered that she just wanted to eat sitting up!  Sound familiar??
Now I just feed her in her "bouncy chair" and she can see everything and takes her bottles like a champ!
Might want to give it a try, it certainly can't hurt!
P.S. I love your son's name. If Molly was a boy, that was the name we had picked out!! What's his middle name?
~Michelle (Spruce Grove, AB, Canada)

[img=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png[/img]
[url=http://www.baby-gaga.com/][img=http://tickers.baby-gag

Offline ~BeckyD~

• Devon, England
Problems after 3 or 4 oz
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 16:33:55 pm »
I will try next size teat, but he is already on 4 hrs.He has been taking 5-6 oz every 4 hrs for few weeks now, so don't understand why he wouldn't be hungry after 4 hrs now, although it does seem as though after the first few oz he is not hungry anymore.  It it likely that he could want to change to being fed less at a time, but more often, when before he has always gone 4 hours? Thanks for posts :D , but still confused! :?

Offline ~BeckyD~

• Devon, England
Problems after 3 or 4 oz
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 16:38:04 pm »
Michelle
posted same time as you, thats sounds like good idea, will try with next feed and let you know. Nickname(Cullybex) is my husbands nickname(Cully)and my nickname(Bex) for Becky.Jacks middle name is Christopher and I love his name too thank you very much! :D Decided to choose simple boys name as dd has long (but very pretty)name!

Offline mattandcindy

• Showing Appreciation 18
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 16:42:14 pm »
I think it definitely sounds like your lo just wants to eat sitting up.
If he isn't arching back or crying or spitting up more or spitting the nipple out just to be ravenous for it again, then I wouldn't worry too much about reflux.
Hope the sitting up helps!
Cindy

Offline ~BeckyD~

• Devon, England
Problems after 3 or 4 oz
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 18:24:50 pm »
ok so heres what happened with evening feed..
put him in swing to feed on Michelles advice, he took 3 oz fine, then started crying and pushed teat out. I picked him up and winded him, the whole time he cried. Then once winded he went back into swing and reluctantly took another oz but making grunts like still had wind so took him back out and tried to wind again but after 5 mins nothing(still crying), so gave gripe water, which didnt make much difference I dont think. He then finished feed with dh stood up rocking. He then fell straight to sleep for 20 mins. This is generally the same as usual for evening feed, which is always the worst.
So it seems the sitting up while feeding didnt change anything, and dont think it is the teat cos flowing quite well and seemed to be spitting lots back out while feeding.Help! :? :?  :(

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Problems after 3 or 4 oz
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 18:27:25 pm »
Bex

Have you tried giving him Infacol? That worked a treat for Grace (better than gripe water ever did). You have to give it to them before the feed but she used to burp like a trooper when she had it.

love
Marie

Offline ~BeckyD~

• Devon, England
Problems after 3 or 4 oz
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 18:30:43 pm »
yes, he used to have it when he was a few weeks old cos never really brought wind up very well but we stopped about a month ago and has only recently started being like this. Maybe I should start again for evening feed.

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Problems after 3 or 4 oz
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 18:33:04 pm »
It's got to be worth a try then. Can't hurt anyway.

love
Marie

Offline albertasweetpea

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Our Dolly Molly - October 2007
Problems after 3 or 4 oz
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2005, 22:16:25 pm »
You might want to keep trying the sitting up feeding as well until he gets the hang of it. What have you got to lose right?

Marie - love your new avatar - what a beauty!
~Michelle (Spruce Grove, AB, Canada)

[img=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png[/img]
[url=http://www.baby-gaga.com/][img=http://tickers.baby-gag

Offline fros

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Problems after 3 or 4 oz
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 07:34:54 am »
Hi there,
My bubs was and still is exactly like your LO. It is sooo frustrating. No professional would listen because he puts on weight. etc.
Unfortunately in my case I've learned to live with it. Some days are great and others are terrible. He is now 6 months and takes around 20-23 oz.
The only advice I can give you is don't force it down. I think I created more problems by doing this and I wish I didn't as he might have been a better feeder by now.
I also don't feed him 4 hourly anymore as he won't take it. I feed him his bottles at 7:15, 12:00. 4:00 and 7:30. He is also on solids now and generally likes them but if he doesn't want it I don't force it anymore. I take it away staight away as I don't want to create problems with his solids as well.
Good Luck and I hope bubs improves.
While I'm here does anyone now if 20-23 oz is enough for my bubs at this age?

Faye

Offline ~BeckyD~

• Devon, England
Problems after 3 or 4 oz
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2005, 08:58:36 am »
well, this is what I was wondering because I have always heard the '2.5-2.7 oz times their weight a day'.  That would mean Jack should be taking around 34 oz a day. I think this is where our problem is...because he sleeps thru night I have been trying to squeeze this all in between 7am-9pm, and it was too much for him(thats what I have put this down to). So now he takes around 26-30 oz a day and (hopefully) still doesnt want one during the night.
I was also confused because if you go by the guidelines on back of formula box(we use Aptamil First) they generally suggest only 30 oz for his weight, but I think other formulas have different guidlines, so now I think just go with what baby wants...if they were breastfed you wouldnt be measuring the oz.
Thanks to all who helped with this post, and hope this helps you too!
Bex