Author Topic: Problems after 3 or 4 oz  (Read 3247 times)

Offline Nicoles Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Problems after 3 or 4 oz
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2005, 12:34:34 pm »
Bex

I also use Aptmil First and was concerned by the recommended amounts as Nicole was only taking about 20oz a day rather than the recommended 30 for her age.  However, in the last week she's caught up and now drains 5-6oz bottles at each feed.  She also used to fuss after 3oz but has grown out of this now and is feeding much better.   I put this down to sorting out her daytime naps as she's less tired now she's getting regular sleeps during the day.  As a result I think she;s more relaxed for the feed.   

Sarah

Offline PaulaP

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2005, 09:36:05 am »
I too have been having the same problems with Thomas' feeding.  He is 11 weeks old, weighs just over 14lbs and also fights constantly when he has his bottles.

He sleeps through the night from 8pm - 8am, and when the time comes for his first feed - he cries so much that you cannot get the teat in his mouth.  After constantly shhhhing him and rocking him you can eventually get the teat in his mouth.  After about 3-4oz, he starts playing about and will knock the bottle out of my hands and starts screaming.  When you wind him, he will bring up a lot of wind and then you cannot get the bottle back in his mouth. 

Thomas takes his bottles warm (he refuses to drink them at room temperature).  A lot of the time I have to re-warm the bottle for him to take it - some times this works and some times it does not. 

I find it very distressing, as I know that he has gone 12 hours in the night and then will only take 4oz out of a 6oz bottle.  My HV says there is nothing really to worry about as he is constantly putting on weight - between 6oz - 8oz every week.

When we try to sit him up in our arms to drink it is even worse.  I am really confused and do not know what to do.

Any help and suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Paula

Offline nate's mom rachel

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
What worked for me
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2005, 01:22:43 am »
My little man was having the same problem, it seemed right from birth when I was nursing him and through bottle feeding as well.  He would be SO frantic for the bottle, chug the first few ounces, and then pull off and cry.  I could tell he was still hungry but something was wrong.  I heard everything from "he needs to burp" to "he needs to spit up", had him on Zantac as well as soy formula for a while.  But I really didn't think he had reflux because other than at feeding times he was a very happy baby!  I had been using the wide nipples that are supposed to be more like the breast.  One night I was so desperate I tried a bottle I had in the closet that had the old fashioned skinny nipple.  And he fed a little better.  So I switched to the regular nipples (I use Playtex ventair bottles) in the Stage 2 flow and gradually (over the next few days and weeks) he stopped having feeding problems.  I dropped the Zantac and returned to regular formula.  He now eats 7 or 8 ounces in about 5 minutes, and does this 4 times a day, sleeping through the night (with a paci and swaddle, but that is another topic altogether!).  Now you might have already tried every nipple out there, but for me, using the regular nipples completely solved the problem.  My little guy just doesn't want to work that hard for his milk, which is probable why nursing didn't work for me either.  I guess I have a lazy little sucker  :wink:   Hope this helps someone.

P.S.  And for some crazy reason, he likes to eat laying flat, like on the couch or the carpet.
Rachel
Mom to Nate, born April 1, 2005