Author Topic: Sleeping through the night  (Read 1584 times)

Offline DJDG's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Sleeping through the night
« on: September 21, 2005, 15:25:01 pm »
Hi,
My 5 1/2 month old is breast fed and he wakes up 4 or 5 times a night. I was told by a few people that after 6 months of age they no longer need to eat in the middle of the night. Is this true? And if so, how do you go about ending those feedings?
Please help! I'm desperate for sleep!
Tara

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 16:37:49 pm »
I promise ya, it's not going to be an easy road getting him to sleep through the night, but it'll be worth it in the end!

What does his daily routine look like? How many feedings are you giving him during the day? How much does he take in during those feedings? That will help us tweak it a little :) Is he eating all those times he wakes in the night? I promise ya, he doesn't need to eat that much. Around 6 months is when lo's usually give up night feeding, because they really don't need the nourishment metabolically. Some give it up earlier. Some actually give it up closer to 9 months, but those lo's are in the minority.

Post your lo's daily schedule, and we'll go it from there :)

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline Kherzy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 18:58:39 pm »
I'm not sure when night feeds are supposed to stop but I weaned my daughter from them at 5 or 6 weeks.  She is 7 weeks and sleeps 8 hours from 11 or 12 to 7 or 8 the next morning.  I am formula feeding so I know that makes a difference in how long it takes to digest.
I'd try using a paci to wean from a night feed as Tracy mentions is the book.  I think she also said to give him the calories he'd get at night during the day.  Maybe sneak in an extra feed or 2?  I've only read her first book so if she said that it'd be in there.  Best of luck to you!

Offline DJDG's mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 22:22:48 pm »
I'm sure he probably doesn't need to eat in the night anymore because he doesn't nurse for that long when he does get up. Our schedule goes pretty much as follows:

8:30 am - wake up
9 am - eat cereal (not much, sometimes a couple of bites)
10 am - b/f
10 or 10:30 - nap 45min. to 1 1/2 (depends if we're home)
12 pm - eat vegies
1 pm - b/f
2 pm - nap ( sometimes 3pm)
5 or 5:30pm - b/f and nap
6:30 pm - eat cereal
8 pm - bath time
8:20 pm - b/f
8:30 pm - bed time
11 pm - wakes up for b/f
Then he gets up 3 or 4 times after that.

This all varies give or a take a half hour. The only things that are pretty exact are his bath time, bed time, and wake up time. We taught him to fall asleep in his crib with out being nursed or rocked but after 11pm he stays in our bed because he gets up too much.
I apreciate any advice you have for me!
Thanks so much!
Tara

Offline DJDG's mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 22:24:35 pm »
Also, he refuses to take a pacifier or a bottle so that doesn't help. Although I recently ordered the Haberman feeder to see if he'll take that so that I can get a break!
Tara

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 22:54:29 pm »
Hi,

Your lo for sure does not need to eat 3-4 times a night anymore, but don't try to wean him off all those feedings at once-- he'll be very confused and you'll be in pain!  Since he's not taking in much in the way of solids yet, he may need to bf a little more often during the day-- maybe every 3.5 hours?  Keep the 11 p.m. feeding as dream feed, but when he wakes up again, use PU/PD to get him back to sleep.  It may take a long time the first few nights.  Next, cut out the feeding closest to the morning wake-up time, using PU/PD.  You may find, as I did with my DD that once he figures out he's not getting the breast every time he wakes up, he'll just go back to sleep on his own for the other times he would normally feed as well.  It's great that he can put himself to sleep; it will be that much easier for you.  You might ask DH to do the PU/PD for those first few nights, since your lo won't associate dad with nursing, and might go down a little easier.

You might find that your lo needs to eat once or so at night for a little while longer, especially if he's in a growth spurt.  But if he just nurses a couple minutes before he nods off, he doesn't need it, and you can wean off that last feeding as well.  Good luck!  You'll be so happy you did this in the end; in the meantime, come back here any time for support.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline DJDG's mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 23:06:41 pm »
Thanks! I will definitely try that! I just have to mentally prepare myself for the right night to start.
Tara