Author Topic: Nap wind down  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Kinlagh's Folks

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • Toronto, Canada (I'm back baby!)
Nap wind down
« on: September 21, 2005, 17:03:16 pm »
I just read a post about bedtime routines and some seemed pretty similar to our dd's.  My question is, what is your routine for naps?  DD used to be very easy to wind down (especially for naps), basically just change diaper, turn off the lights, put toys away, etc, and when we put her in her crib she immediately put her thumb in her mouth, turned over and went to sleep.  But lately she becomes super excited when we go in her room.  Couple of thoughts: Could it be that her bedroom is now a play room where as it used to be mainly used for sleep?  Or could it be that she has just started crawling so when she's on her tummy (usual sleeping position) she immediately props up onto all 4s and starts playing.  If it's the 2nd, I'm guessing this too shall pass???

Help!!!
Michelle

Proud mommy to Kinlagh Emilie
Born 19/01/2005

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Nap wind down
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 21:11:23 pm »
I think you are right on both accounts. My ds#1 only has books in his bedroom, so it is just a place for quiet play.
But I do remember once he started to crawl, I had to give a lot more help for him to wind down & settle off to sleep. When they start to get active, it is a bit like us doing lots of excercise just before bed... you need something else to help un-wind. I would insert some story time after teh diaper change if you felt that would work, it did for us.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Kinlagh's Folks

• Showing Appreciation 7
Nap wind down
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 12:24:53 pm »
Good point.  Funny how clueless we can be for something so obvious until someone else points it out.  Of course she wants to play now that her room is a play area - why didn't I think of that!  So I did a little redesigning and removed most of her "toys" from her room and brought them to the downstairs play area.  You also made me rethink our wind down area (rocking chair)...which we were also using for her morning feed and morning play.  No longer!!!  Wind down only.  Thanks for the eye opener.  We need those every once in a while.
Michelle

Born 19/01/2005

Offline branwen

• Showing Appreciation 21
Nap wind down
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 13:34:16 pm »
Michelle- would you mind posting back if all your redesign worked?  I am trying to do something similar for Eirwen!
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline Kinlagh's Folks

• Showing Appreciation 7
Nap wind down
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 15:39:15 pm »
Sure Branwen.  We just did it this morning, so we should see results later this week. 

Just to say what the redesign was:
- Removed 90% of toys from her room.  Left books, a soother (which she uses as a chewing toy) and some stuffed animals.
- Started having am bottle downstairs (where we have all other feedings) instead of in her room on her rocking chair
- Will use rocking chair as wind-down area ONLY (stories, cuddles, etc).  We used to have some am play in this chair after her bottle.  Said good morning to all the animals on her wall, etc.   Figured she is now associating this chair as a play area so have nowhere to wind her down anymore.

We'll see how it goes.  I'll keep you posted.
Michelle

Born 19/01/2005