Author Topic: Cluster Feeding  (Read 1253 times)

Offline vix.1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Cluster Feeding
« on: September 18, 2005, 09:46:23 am »
Hi

Hope someone can give me a hand.  Joshie is 11 weeks and has started waking at 4am for a feed, previously 6.30 am.  He also takes his DF (8oz) in about 2 minutes and is always looking for more.  I am thinking it may be a growth spurt??  Is he ready for some baby rice perhaps??  Should I be cluster feeding him??  If I do cluster feed him can I do that whilst he is asleep as he goes to bed at 7pm.

If anyone can help me it would be great as I am getting myself all a bit confused. 

Thanks

Offline 15milner

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 211
Cluster Feeding
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 10:18:26 am »
Hi

Your first instinct I think is likely to be right.  There is a 3month growth spurt.  So often it is sleep patterns that go through alterations such as going back from one night waking to two etc.  I know I did.

The Dream feed is a feed that you give shortly before you go to bed.  For me that was at about 10.30, although others give it later.  a dreamfeed in theory can be given when they are still asleep.  again some need to rouse their little one so they take a proper feed.  I think the important thing is that they are not fed whilst flat so they swallow properly and reduce the risk of choking.

I used to cluster feed when breastfeeding.  ie I bf at 3,5,7 for a bedtime of 7.30.  The cluster feed is to 'tank them up' in the hours to bedtime to increase the amount of daytime calories so they don't need to wake as much at night to take in cals.  I am not an expert on cluster feeding using bottles so i'd suggest a question on the bottle feeding forum in terms of how often and amounts.

With regard to the rice - 11 weeks is too early.  their digestive tracts are not mature enough to cope with having to digest anything other than milk.  Hence the advice nowadays to wait until the 6months mark or thereabouts.

Hope this has helped.

Alex

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Cluster Feeding
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 21:51:49 pm »
Definitely agree with the previous post. It would be the growth spurt... both my boys did it at 10.5 weeks, so 11 weeks is not too early.

I would also not advise the rice, infact it is more likely to make your lo wake up more & be unsettled, he is much to young & intestines too immature to get any value from it... infact, you could be setting him up for lots of food related problems in later life if you did. Research shows later is better.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline jimmyandseansmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Cluster Feeding
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 03:05:39 am »
hummmmmm,that would explain our 4am night wakings.ds will be 11 weeks on monday.He was making it till 6;30,of course I got really bummed.He has been extra sleepy during the day too( I wake him at the 3 hr. mark)Hopefully it will get back on track.I have only done the cluster feeding twice and it didn't seem to make a difference.I df at 10:30,nursing.