Author Topic: Okay to still catnap at 9 months old???  (Read 1203 times)

Offline LHightower

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Okay to still catnap at 9 months old???
« on: September 21, 2005, 18:59:33 pm »
Does any one else have a 9 month old who still likes to catnap???  My son has been on the 4 hour EASY plan for months now and try as I may....he does not want to let go of his 3:30-4:30 pm catnap!  :oops:  Currently, he takes a morning nap of 45 min - 1.5hrs, a mid-day nap of 1-2hrs, and his catnap of 30-45min.  He goes to sleep at 6:30pm and doesn't wake up until 6am (except when I dreamfeed him, but goes right back to sleep) which I am thrilled with!!   :D  I am just wondering if I am setting myself up for a nightmare situation down the road.  Is it okay to let him sleep this much?  Sometimes he doesn't sleep during the catnap, but just lays in his crib and babbles or sucks his thumb.  (never cries during this time)  I have tried many times to forgo the catnap by keeping him up, but he gets sooooo cranky, rubs his eyes and looks really tired.  I know that a catnap at 9 months old is not recommended by Tracy's book, but I don't want to have an unhappy baby on my hands every afternoon.  Any advice would be much appreciated!
Mommy to Jonathan
Born:  December 16, 2004

Offline CW

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 19:49:54 pm »
I really believe that a baby can never sleep too much.  If your son is sleepy and wants that nap, then by all means let him sleep and don't feel badly about it!  You are doing great by tuning in to what he needs, so don't worry.  The day will come when you will WISH and BEG for that catnap, so enjoy it.  :)

Offline LHightower

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 01:00:56 am »
Thanks, CW ~ I really appreciate your reassurance.  All along my inner "mommy voice" has been telling me to keep giving him his catnap but at the same time, I have been starting to feel guilty for putting him in his crib so much.  However, since he never cries and definitely does sleep (I can hear him on the monitor),  I am assuming he is content and happy.  Many of my friends say the same thing as you...."just wait until he won't nap at all!!!  You will be missing these days!   :lol: "  So, I guess for now, I am going to let him keep on sleeping!
Mommy to Jonathan
Born:  December 16, 2004