Author Topic: A long nap!  (Read 1581 times)

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
A long nap!
« on: September 21, 2005, 19:26:07 pm »
Caeden is at an hour and half for his midday nap - all by himself! No waking or stiring or WTS needed!  I had decided I would be happy with 45 minute naps for the time being if I could get one long nap a day consistently. Maybe this is the start of something good!

Just wanted to share - I was excited and figured I could get some "yeahs" from you all cause you know what it's like too!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
A long nap!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 14:54:57 pm »
Don't know about a Yeah - maybe a Grrrr of jealousy!!

Only joking - well done Caeden! Has he managed to keep it up? If so, let us in on the secret  :wink: .

Caroline
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline thodder

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
A long nap!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 16:14:20 pm »
Hi,

Joshua just started doing the same thing -  but I know what's caused it.  Over the past couple of days there's been some pretty hefty construction going on down the street (power tools, lots of noise etc...).  My LO ALWAYS sleeps better with noise, so has been napping like a dream.  I'm tempted to go out and record the construction sounds and play them all the time  :wink:   Too bad white noise machines don't have a "construction noise" setting.  heehee.

Theressa
--------
Theressa Hodder
Mom of Joshua, Spirited baby
Born May 6, 2005

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
A long nap!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 17:25:17 pm »
You now I found this website that sells CD of white noise.... hair dryers, vacuums, water running, etc - maybe you ought to make a construction traffic noise one and sell it! They were selling for $15.00! And all it was was noise!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

He is actually at almost an hour for his mid morning nap now too!
And yesterday he slept for 2 hours in the car and stroller and the day before he also took a long nap.

I think there is light at the end of this tunnel. He is still fussing and crying quite a bit before he goes to sleep, but I don't know what to do to help. I think I am missing his window. Either I am too early and he fusses or I am too late. If I am too early by the time I am thinking this he really should be ready so I just keep going. We have been between an hour and an hour and a half pretty consistently.
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline Little Bear's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • Daniel's birthday is 11 April 2005
A long nap!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 08:23:14 am »
Well done Cadensmama - have you really done nothing different? How old is Caden?

My ds 5 1/2 months, sleeps 40m - 1h for first nap. 1h30m second nap and 30mins third nap. I'd love to have 2 longer ones or at least a longer one in the morning. But he wakes happy so I figure he doesn't need it.

But if you've discovered some great secret we all look for, please let us know! :lol:
Hayley
Ohakea, New Zealand

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
A long nap!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 04:17:45 am »
Jennifer, what is Caeden's temperament?  If he's fussing before he goes to sleep it may just be because he's spirited &/or touchy.

Little Bear's Mama and Caroline, have you tried going to your lo's room when they normally wake up (early) from their naps and maybe doing a light pat/shush, something to prevent them from stirring?  I know this is something that works for the younger ones but it may help extend the naps for your ds as well.  That's what works for my ds when I notice a trend in his waking early from the naps.

Also, have you noticed anything else that works in calming your lo's down or helping get them to sleep?  The reason I ask is because the reason pat/shush works for my ds is because I've always done it.  Sometimes it riles him up (and he'll let me know) so I stop doing it.  Other times it relaxes him.  I also have always used white noise (running water) in the background and so I always have that going around the time I expect him to wake up.

Just some suggestions for extending the naps.  FYI... the naps do get better as they are established in their 6 months.  It's almost as if by magic.  So, Caroline, stick to the routine and you should see a change shortly.  Little Bear's Mama, you have a couple of weeks to go.  ;-)
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Little Bear's Mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • Daniel's birthday is 11 April 2005
A long nap!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 04:43:48 am »
GG - oooh I hope it's as simple as waiting 2 weeks  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: I've never had to teach my ds to settle as he learnt to do it very early on by himself. I've tried P/Shh but it doesn't achieve anything. He looks at me and laughs/smiles and tells me to get him up. Basically, I think he's happy and rested enough.

I do wonder how long he should be up for the first awake time though, as I've done everything from 1 hour to 2h 20mins and the same result of 40mins nap! WHat does this mean?

Maybe I'll post this on another thread and see what others have to say.
Hayley
Ohakea, New Zealand

Offline GG

• Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
A long nap!
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 03:16:30 am »
If he wakes up happy, then there's usually no need to extend the nap.  It's when they wake up crying, a sign that they are still tired, that the nap should be extended.  However, if he's getting tired quickly after that, yeah, it's a problem.  Try letting him do things that don't make him as tired toward the end of the day, some low-key things.
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna