Author Topic: Growth Chart  (Read 1857 times)

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Growth Chart
« on: September 21, 2005, 20:12:56 pm »
Our 15 month old ds has recently not gained enough weight to stay on his growth curve, which is close to the 50th percentile.  Part of it was due to getting repeat ear infections and tonsilitis during August which caused him to not eat well and lose some weight.  The other part of it is that he just doesn't want to eat enough.  He would rather do a million other things!  Eating is just not a priority for him.  He'll eat in his highchair until he has eaten about half of what a kid his age should be eating (7 to 8 tablespoons) at a sitting.  Then he signals all done, mouth closed, shaking his head back and forth no more.  So I end up offering him food alot :!:  It feels like I am offering so much that it turns him off, however I don't know what else to do being that he needs the calories.  Currently our ped has him drinking 8 oz of pediasure before bed. Has anyone else had a similar issue with their toddler?  Also he has yet to eat any substantial amount of eggs or meat.  How much protein should a kid his age get in a day?  He is getting most of his protein from milk products. :(
Julie

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
Growth Chart
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 02:07:20 am »
Well I have to say that what he is doing is totally normal for his age.  There is way too much to look at and play with to waste time eating.  My ds was/is the same way. 

Here is how I dealt with it.  I offer healthy choices for his breakfast lunch and dinner as well as a bedtime snack before his bath.  If he seemed to be really hungry some days then I would offer him a mid morning and a mid afternoon snack as well.  I would let him eat or not eat as much as he wanted and leave it at that.  I found that as soon as I chilled out about it he ate a lot better.

One thing that we found worked really well was to make him a smoothie out of yogurt, fruit and milk.  He really likes them and they are healthy :D .

HTH

Offline lele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 03:31:06 am »
Have you read the toddler book?  I remember there being a part about eating and how you can offer it too much.  I don't remember exactly what was suggested but if you have the book you might want to look.  If you don't have it I can look and let you know what it says.  Let me know if you want me to.
Sweet Boy- Nov. 1, 2003

Sweet Baby Girl- Nov. 18, 2005

Offline Chantel03

• Showing Appreciation 25
Growth Chart
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 04:21:13 am »
My ds is the same way.  He is just a busy little guy.

I do give lots of snacks, and I feed him a few bites of whatever I'm eating.  Also give him lots of milk.  I wouldn't be to worried.  Some kids just arent big eaters.
Tanner- My active, fun loving 4yr old.
Kaitlyn- My new baby girl.

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Growth Chart
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 16:41:32 pm »
Lele

I don not have the 3rd book.  If you have the time could you tell me what it says about offering food too often?  I am sure I am doing that!  Anyways thank you guys for your responses.  Its hard not to worry :?   He really is not a big eater, tall and skinny.  Was the same way when he was born - has never been a chubby looking boy :!:
Julie

Offline lele

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 20:12:19 pm »
Ok, I glanced through the book while ds is napping to refresh my memory about what Tracy had to say about eating and offering food.  Here is a little summary.  First of all she talks about how it is quite normal to go through this stage of not wanting to eat much.  She also says if your child is alert, active, and happy he is probably getting what he needs (of course that doesn’t take the worry away from any of us, I know! :roll:   Especially if the Doctor is concerned too.)  She also says most of the needed calories will come from the whole milk (or formula/breast milk) about 16-24 ounces a day.  However she points out that you shouldn’t try and convince your child to keep eating when they have signaled they are done (turning the head, arching the back, kicking, throwing food, etc.) because this will lead to meal time drama on a regular basis and your child is likely to win control.  It can also make a negative association with food and eating for your lo.  She also says not to follow your child around trying to get them to eat more once you have taken them out of their high chair.  This can be confusing/contradicting and creates a bad habit.  She suggests making the habit of no table = no food.  I can’t say we do that regularly because ds usually doesn’t have snacks in his high chair but we do use that with meals.  The example in the book was a mom who kept trying to get her little girl to eat more, she was offering her way too many choices “how about this, how about this, how about this…”, and on and on, after the little girl signaled she was done.  Then she would tell her ok, clean her up, get her down, and then follow her around trying to get her to eat more food.  Basically the suggestions were limit choices and respect when she is done.  She also says toddlers can surprise you with their ability to know when they need food.  They might have a few bad eating days and them make up for it on another day.  I don’t know if that is totally related to your problem but maybe something in there can help.  I would say just keep offering healthy choices and try to make meal time a positive experience.  I am sure the Pediasure is giving him a lot of what he needs too.  Don’t worry too much about percentiles and what not, just make sure he is healthy and happy.  If you have any questions about what I wrote, I kind of rambled a bit, let me know.  Good luck!
Sweet Boy- Nov. 1, 2003

Sweet Baby Girl- Nov. 18, 2005

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
Growth Chart
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 22:50:14 pm »
My dd started this around that age and still does it!  Toddlers just don't eat much usually.  My dd is doing good to eat more than a few bites at some sittings.  She gets breakfast, midmorning snack, lunch, midafternoon snack and dinner.  She has milk with her meals and water with snacks.  She often eats more of her snacks than her meals cause she's just too busy, but she also doesn't eat much of those some days.  When did your ds start walking?  running?  Is he doing those yet?  I'm just asking because that can cause a drop in weight as well.  My dd was 50th percentile at one checkup and then the 25th at the next and the ped said it could be due to her learning to walk and burning more energy.  By the next appnt, she was back to 50 which I thought was strange with how little she eats.  They also start being more and more picky about what they eat so I make sure to offer atleast one thing each meal that I know she likes as well as new things or things I hope she'll learn to like.  I agree that if he's acting okay, he probably is!  Just tall and skinny!

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Growth Chart
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 00:37:51 am »
Lele and Stacie :D

Thank you so much for your help!

Lele - I really appreciate the summary!  I sometimes offer several choices just to get him to eat, and like the book says it doesn't work :!: I have also followed him with food trying to get him to take a bite!  Wow I am just racking up the mistakes, LOL :lol: He seems to do better at lunch and dinner. He really isn't too hungry in the mornings, when most kids are starving. He eats more in the afternoon and evening, but still not a ton.  I need to set some limits for myself and not let worrying take over.  He actually at some hotdog today, which is a big deal, becuase this boy is not a meat lover yet!  Hopefully he will gain some weight like Stacie's dd even though he is in a slump at the moment.  You are a lifesaver!

Stacie -

Funny you mention the walking/running bit!  His weight gain started to really slow once he started to walk at 12/13 months.  He is pretty active, never just chills out.  It is comforting to know that your dd takes only a couple bites of this and that at each sitting.  I appreciate all you had to say!

Julie
Julie

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
Growth Chart
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 02:45:57 am »
Mine too is not a breakfast person and I too thought that was weird after not eating for over 12 hours!  But who knows...I've seen others post here about that as well.  She's also not a meat lover although she's getting better at hot dogs and chicken from time to time.  Rarely will she eat any red meat though like hamburger.  Glad we could help!

Offline sandraorion

• Showing Appreciation 93
  • Albuquerque, NM
Growth Chart
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 14:06:20 pm »
I'm in the same boat. Adrian is tall and skinny. Actually, I have a doctor's appointment today to check on his weight because he didn't gain any since 9 months. Yes, he is very active and has been running for quite a while now. Generally eats well, but not a meat eater. Here are some things that I do.

As people said, no chaising around with the food (although I admit, I do that when he is sick and won't take anything  :oops: ). At these times, baby oatmeal with apple sauce is about the only thing he'll eat.

If he wants to eat, give him food. :)

Set up his healthy snack food supply somewhere where he can get to it, like lower shelf in the pantry. I noticed Adrian discovers the snacks, takes what he wants and brings it to the high chair.

Find things that he likes to eat. He tends to like things with more taste, but I'll give him whatever he points to during dinner (if he points to something, he usually eats it). He really surprised me couple of days ago, pointing to a lamb roast. I cut little pieces and gave it him, and he ate it! That was the most meat he ate in a month. Loves the cheese, I always have some for him. Surpirsed me last night, eating some buffalo meat in a gravy. Maybe he liked the gravy and the meat wasn't dry?

Offer smaller portions and meals in courses. I found that he is more likely to eat, if there is less food on the plate and fewer choices. Two foods on a plate seems to be the most he can handle. I start with the food I would like him most to have. Once done with particual course, either give a refill or move to a new food.

A hit that he likes for lunch is enriched grilled cheese sandwhich. :) Between two pieces of bread (whole wheat) put cheese, some lean lunch meat, and tomato slices and grill in George Forman grill or alike for couple of minutes. Serve with fruit smoothie.

Be sneaky. :) Add some chopped meat to the vegetable, add some garlic, herbs.
Sandra, mom to Adrian - July 30th, 2004 and Nina December 4th, 2007

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Growth Chart
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 19:29:50 pm »
Thanks Sandra! :D

I appreciate all of your tips.  I, like you, put one course in front of him at a time, and never more than a few bites.  Then I just refill as he eats.  Too much overwhelms him :shock: Hopefully he will gain some more weight this month.  I have been doing good with only offering 3 or 4 different foods at a sitting.  Right now he is on a strawberry kick - wish they had more calories, then we'd be in business! I will try the grill cheese with extra goodies and see how it goes over.  Its so nice to hear from Moms like you :D
Julie