Author Topic: wakes up crying 1 hour after going to sleep  (Read 17736 times)

Offline momo'nathan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
wakes up crying 1 hour after going to sleep
« on: September 21, 2005, 00:38:44 am »
Hello.  We were blessed with learning about the baby whisperer techniques about a week and a half ago after struggling for 3 hours each night to get our little guy to bed.  We are proud to say that we have seen a remarkable (almost unbelievable) change since using pu/pd and I am no longer have to 'nurse to sleep' our 7.5 month old.  I have also had some success with getting him to nap about 30 minutes 2 x each day (had not been a napper before). 

What we are struggling with currently is within an hour of getting him to bed he wakes up crying/screaming and we must go in and do pu/pd for 5-15 minutes.  He then falls back to sleep until he is up in the night 2 x to nurse. 

Any ideas why he does this and how we can help him from doing this?

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 10:46:16 am »
From my experience with my ds#1, waking up about 45mins - hour after bedtime, is actually due to overtiredness. which if he only gets 2 x30min naps during the day, would most probably be the case. At 7.5 mo, you would be expecting him to nap about 2.5-3 hours in total being 1x 1hour 7 1x 1.5-2hour is normal
So maybe if you can't extend the naps, try giving 4x 30min naps. His awake time between naps should be about 2.5-3hours if he does long naps, it would probably not be more than 2 hours if he does 30min naps, otherwise he is over tired going down for naps
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline sandraorion

• Showing Appreciation 93
  • Albuquerque, NM
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 12:19:09 pm »
Adrian is a poor napper too and he will wake up after an 45 minutes and hour into night sleep if overtired and/or put to bed too early. His normal bedtime is around 7pm, but sometimes if he had very bad nap, we might put him down at 6:30 or so. Then he wakes up after 45 minutes. We think that his body gets confused and stuck between nap and nighttime sleep.

We didn't switch to two naps until he was close to 8 months old. Maybe you can try to introduce the 3rd nap. Adrian was taking 3 half an hour naps, around 10am, 2pm, and 4:30pm.
Sandra, mom to Adrian - July 30th, 2004 and Nina December 4th, 2007

Offline JECsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 23:59:54 pm »
Just wanted to tell you we're in the same boat.  DS has been doing this for a few months - he's 7.5 months too. I thought we had it licked about a month ago and we was able to self soothe back to sleep, but this week he started again!
I think the overtired thing has a lot to do with it. The other day we were able to get him to take a nap at 4:00 and he didn't wake up at all until 1:00am! This is VERY good for DS.  Getting him to that 3rd nap is really hard. I usually put him to bed at 6:00 and sometimes 5:30 if the naps are really bad.
It's so furstrating. I can't tell you how many dinners in a row I never got to eat in one setting.

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 00:47:25 am »
We found that overstimulation in the hour or so before bed causes the same problem for us.  Incidentally, dd is 8mos, and she still gets three naps on a bad nap day.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)