Author Topic: need help with early waking  (Read 1148 times)

Offline jenben

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 22, 2005, 00:45:09 am »
Hi -
I need some help. 

I have a 4 1/2 mo. old little boy who is trying very hard to get into a good routine.  I bought Tracy's newest book on Labor Day and have been quite determined to see this through.  The first week and a half were really tough.  One night I was up doing PU/PD & shush-pat every hour!  Luckily, our persistence has paid off as he can sometimes put himself back to sleep and has slept through the night twice this week.  Things definitely seem to be going in the right direction.  I don't want to screw it up!

Sometimes he wakes at night and we have a bit of trouble.  Also, sometimes he has trouble staying asleep for his whole nap.

When I respond to his genuine cries, shush-pat is now usually enough to calm him, however, he then proceeds to want to play with my fingers, talk, and maybe blow a couple of raspberries.  I'm not making eye contact.  I've been then moving out of sight to help keep him on task, but he quickly goes back to a genuine cry.  We've gone back and forth like this for a whole hour, by which time the nap is over and I feed him (on schedule). 

When is a good time to step away from the crib, or to leave the room, if he is not crying, but not sleeping either?

Sometimes, I can successfully do the wake-to-sleep, but if not, we tend to get stuck in the above rut.  Am I not doing the wake-to-sleep right?  Is there something I could be doing inadvertantly to draw out this struggle?

The way I've been doing wake-to-sleep is to be there when I think he is going to wake early, and just ease him back to sleep if he wakes.  I'm not interfering if he doesn't stir.  I used to pat him right at the 30 minute mark for as much as 20 minutes, but then noticed that the patting sometimes woke him up more.

How do I break this cycle?

Offline PaulaPR510

• Showing Appreciation 0
need help with early waking
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 01:12:30 am »
I think you are doing wake-to-sleep wrong. I think u are suppossed to stir him a little, perhaps a light touch or whatever just to bring him out and back into the deep sleep. And it is suppossed to be done around an hour before his usual wake time (if it is during the night).
Check posts on wake to sleep.
Good luck.

Offline jenben

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 12:49:18 pm »
Thanks for your advice about wake-to-sleep.  I am still confused about doing it for nap times.  Can you point me to any specific posts that might help?  In the book, Tracy says to begin gently patting at the 30 minute mark and continue until you feel the body relax.  It's hard to know whether or not to do this every time, since sometimes he puts himself back to sleep and I want to encourage that.

So, what should I do with my baby who quiets for me without needing PU/PD, but won't let me leave?  He cries if I leave, but quiets for me by my hand on him or my just being near, so I don't think PU/PD is the right thing unless he gives me a genuine cry.

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: confused about wake to sleep
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 18:31:57 pm »
Quote from: jenben
Thanks for your advice about wake-to-sleep.  I am still confused about doing it for nap times.  Can you point me to any specific posts that might help? 

check out the nap forum.  Matthew's Mommy has tons of info posted about this.  :wink:
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy