Author Topic: Weaning off the daytime feeds.  (Read 1839 times)

Offline Jrolph

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Weaning off the daytime feeds.
« on: September 21, 2005, 23:57:46 pm »
I too am having the same issue.  My DS can fall asleep on is own but he likes the extra cuddle time and a full tummy before bed.  I am having a problem now that I need to go back to work and I can't get him to drink milk out of a sippy cup before his naps.  I really need to wean him off of the daytime feeds but I am lost.

annamum

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 03:20:24 am »
Hi jrolph,

I split your post from the previous thread so as a separate one you will get more responses, hopefully  :) .

Is your baby going to a daycare or somebody will care for him at home? I am asking because babies understand when mommy is not around and they adapt easily to new caregivers and their different approaches to naps and feeding. Even a 9 months old will understand this. He will know that if you are not around he won't have his nursies before nap. Don't expect him, though, to forgo nursing before nap on weekends, when you are at home with him.

As for giving him a sippy cup, Anna really liked a straw cup. Try this.

Offline Jrolph

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 12:08:28 pm »
Thank you for the reply and for spliting the post.  I figured that he would adapt fine I am just worried about leaving him.  It's earlier then planned and I have been fretting about it all week.  I guess I will go with the flow and he will eat when he is hungry.

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 22:49:50 pm »
I was worried about Megan coping with daycare too...and it's taking a few weeks, but she's getting there.  She naps for them (short at first, but getting better), she started eating better there and then at home too!  She still won't take much from the sippy cup, but in 2.5 weeks, it's gone from refusing altogether to taking 2 oz yesterday.  I think she just expects something different from her caregivers there than she does from me.  They cuddle and rock with her before naps to get her relaxed too.  On the weekends, I still do my usual thing and it doesn't seem to be confusing her. I even still nurse her about twice a day on weekends. When does your lo start? Will you have a period when you can start him there part time first?  I know it's hard!!  He'll adapt though.  You can pm me if you want to talk more about it - it's all fresh for me too!  :?
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

annamum

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 22:56:36 pm »
I was hoping that you, Erin, would chime in, as I knew you have just gone through this experience. How cool that they actually do something like rocking or cuddling for babies to relax before nap. And that's what I heard from other people, that babies learn to expect different things from their caregivers than from their parents, you can't get them confused about that.

Offline Jrolph

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 12:14:45 pm »
Hi Erin and Annamum,

Thank you so much for your replies.  I have been stressing about this all week.  I am able to go back part time since I am not actually due to go back to work until the middle of November but my boss would like me to go into a new job.  She understands that I have to wean my son but she would like to get me trained before the other lady leaves, which I can understand too.  I was going to try him half a day for two days the first week, then go two days a week for a couple weeks then 3 days for the next couple weeks and then I will start back full time.  That way he can get used to it.  Technically I can be off until November 14 so if they aren't willing to let me have this schedule I can just turn down the job but it is a good opportunity.  I really don't want to go back to work at all and I think that is another thing that is hurting me.  Erin has is got easier to be back at work???  I cry just thinking about it, but I know he will be fine and its good for him to interact with other small children.  Do you think that I should start replacing his mid morning feed with a cup or something begining next week??? and then drop the afternoon one the week after that??  I am going to continue the morning and bedtime feeds for a while longer but I just want to make sure he will be okay during the day.  Also he will drink 8 oz of water from a sippy cup so if he drinks that along with his solids will he be okay without milk???  He hated water when I started giving it to him too but now he loves it so I am hoping that he will learn to love milk too.  If not that is fine but I am just afraid he isn't getting enough.  He eats full fat yougurt and cheese so he gets dairy and protein from that and he eats iron fortified cereals so he is getting iron that way.  I am just worried his nutritional needs won't be met if I can't get him to drink milk.  Sorry I am rambling it's really hard becacuse not only and I trying to wean but I am stressing about going back to work too.

Thank you for all of your help.
Jen

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 17:21:03 pm »
It's definitely gotten easier for us.  As for giving him a cup in the daytime, it might make the transition easier for him.  I tried giving Megan milk from a sippy when I was still home, but honestly, I found it easier and she drank more when I nursed her, so I mostly gave up!  If you're only working part time, he could still get the milk from you when you're home.  Because he's younger, you really want to make sure he's getting enough, it's true, but it's probably only 2 - and eventually 1 - nursing that he's missing.  Most bf babies take between 4-8 oz per feed, I imagine, so one missed feed won't be so much - and maybe you could make it up when he gets home...sort of cluster feed the milk before bed...I'm not sure. 

Closer to a year, as long as he's getting dairy from other sources, it's not such a big deal too- especially if he'll take water.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha