Author Topic: Crying as soon as in cot!!!  (Read 1129 times)

Offline flygirl

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 22, 2005, 07:13:59 am »
Not sure whether this should be here or in the toddler section, but here goes as any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! My 14 month old ds has now started crying as soon as I put him in his cot and it is taking me about an hour each time to get him to sleep. He has a 40 min nap in the morning, about 1and1/2 to 2 hours in the afternoon and sleeps from about 8.30pm (he is put in cot at about 7.45) til around 6am. He would normally maybe moan for a few seconds then have a play for about 20 mins then go to sleep but at the moment healmost seems hysterical when I put him down and it is really upsetting to hear him like that. Nothing has happened in his cot for him to hate it, but he is teething at the moment. This has been going on for a few weeks now and am unsure what to do. I just keep going in to him and reassuring him and eventually he goes off. Since he was born, I would say bar 5 times he always wakes up crying. It is very rare that he wakes and has a play on his own. When he is up and about, he is lovely and plays very well on his own. I am still breastfeeding him and he has about 3 or 4 feeds a day. He seems a very happy secure little boy, although my husband works for an airline and does longhaul,so he is away for days at a time and I know my son dotes on him,so maybe this is a reason/ But why does ha always wake crying. As a baby he had silent reflux, so his sleeping was very erratic, although now I would say once he is asleep,although he is an early riser, he slleps the best out of all my friends babies!!! If anyone has any tips or reasons why they think he is crying himself to sleep or why he alwaqys wakes crying, I would so appreciate it. His bedroom has blackout blinds that let in no light and he has a night light. Also he has a noo noo that I have now had to attach to his grobag as he kept throwing it out and crying!!! Do you think I should introduce a teddy from Daddy to maybe reassure him?  He is walking and he constantly chatters!! Thanks for any advice and sorry post so long!

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Crying as soon as in cot!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 21:31:59 pm »
hi there,

if you haven't already introduced a lovey that would be a great thing to do.

also - it might be time to start transitioning to one nap a day. 

if you decide to go that route... at first, the one nap will fall between when the other 2 used to be.  it may be short at first, but if you keep at it, it should lengthen.  at the same time, i would move bedtime earlier.  if it's a reeeeal short nap, even as early as 7:30.  i would eventually probably aim for a bedtime anywhere between 7-8pm

HTH
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy