Author Topic: my 7-week-old and napping  (Read 1118 times)

Offline mthyne

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
my 7-week-old and napping
« on: September 22, 2005, 21:14:36 pm »
So here's my deal.  My ds does a really good job at going to bed at night, but not for naps.  I know sometimes I miss the window, but I have a 4 1/2 year old dd and it gets hard to watch for all the signs.  However, even if I make the window, he only goes down about 50% of the time.  The rest of it he just cries.  I try pat/shh, but it's hard when my dd needs things, too.  Plus, he'll cry right up to his feeding time.  Then what?  Do I get him up and feed him? Because then he falls asleep while eating.  Or do I work through the feeding, but then what if he's crying because he's hungry?  We're on about a 3-hour EASY, with 45min-1hr naps.  I could use some suggestions, if any!
Thanks
Melissa
Melissa
Mom to Penelope and Alex
er

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
my 7-week-old and napping
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 22:34:43 pm »
I know sometimes I miss the window - literally for some babies, this magical window is very brief. Once you see the first sleepy cue, do the 4s wind down routine immediately.  Also, keep his awake time at a minimal, and beware of overstimulation.   So for your situation i would guess A time 1hr to 1.25hr no more - that's including feed time.  Go w/ less vs more at this age.

Plus, he'll cry right up to his feeding time. Then what? Do I get him up and feed him? Because then he falls asleep while eating.
Yes, get him up and feed - definately!  But it will be a feed, change (that is his A time) and right to sleep.  Tracy has some good tips on keeping them awake during a feed in her new book.

Hope that helps some.