Author Topic: Crying and sickness at bedtime  (Read 1176 times)

Offline jodavies

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Crying and sickness at bedtime
« on: September 21, 2005, 20:53:42 pm »
Hi, I wonder if anybody else has dealt with this: my ds is 16 months and is usually a great sleeper and seems to love his cot but over the last couple of weeks he's been getting upset as soon as he realises its time for sleep.  I'm not one to leave him to cry for too long but usually leave it a little while and he goes to sleep on his own but now he wont settle and a few times I've heard him sound like he's being sick.  The first time I went straight back in to make sure he was OK but he hadn't actually been sick.  Yesterday however, he brought some of his milk up all over the floor.  I really don't like to leave him to cry but I don't want to start bad habits by going to him all the time.  Is this almost being sick a ploy for some extra attention to prolong bedtime? He doesn't seem ill in himself at all.  When I've picked him up after he's worked himself up and sat down with him for a cuddle, he's smiling away happily and playing with me within a couple of minutes which makes me think its attention. Should I just stand firm although it's upsetting to hear him so upset.  Thanks for your help in advance.

Offline 15milner

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 211
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 20:59:23 pm »
At this age, Matthew started becoming interested in cuddling a little soft toy.  I gave him a different one each night as i didn't want to go down the road like my SIL and having to have half a dozen of the same toy just in case.  (she lost all 7 of the same rabbit - scatty!)  That seemed to settle him.

Any use?

alex

Offline jodavies

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 14:00:20 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  I've tried giving him something to cuddle but he wont tolerate anything in his cot at all.  Whenever I get his cot ready, as soon as he gets in he throws everything back out onto the floor including his blanket!  I don't make a big deal of it as I just cover him up once he's gone to sleep.

Offline woopster

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 14:06:27 pm »
Hi Jo,
My son went through this at around the same age - I think it's something to do with separation anxiety.
Keep to the same routine, be consistant at bedtimes and it will get easier.

Where in Kent are you from Jo?
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)