Author Topic: Pumping... becoming a problem?!  (Read 1175 times)

Offline Hubbafer

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Pumping... becoming a problem?!
« on: September 23, 2005, 00:44:52 am »
I've been breastfeeding continuously for 4 months (since my son was born). I've been able to pump a few times to get a small supply in the freezer for when I NEED to go out and hubby can look after him.

I'm finding it hard to pump when I need to, and only (sometimes) get 1-2 oz at a time.....

The best and ONLY time I've been able to get a good 5 oz is if I'm engorged in the middle of the night (when my son started to miss feedings to finally sleep through the night). I've tried doing it during the day in between feedings, but at a loss... barely getting anything.

I use the Avent ISIS pump.... should I switch? Is there something I'm doing wrong? Any suggestions to get my let-down to COME IN? (it rarely does..).

HELP!! :(
"Lucas Francesco"
Born: May 23, 2005

annamum

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 00:57:55 am »
I think it is difficult to pump for some women after innitial first 3 months as our breasts adjust to demand and produce exactly how much our babies need. The best time to pump is early morning, your supply is at its highest then. Or in the middle of the night, if you don't mind  :lol:. Usually baby can extract much more from your breast than the best pump.

I also found it hard to pump when I HAD TO. Especially when I had to leave soon, I was so stressed out by that that I had no let-down either.

My advice would be, pump in the morning, make sure you are well-hydrated, relaxed, think of your baby while pumping. Some women are able to pump while baby is latched on another breast, that way you already have a let-down, the problem is to position yourself with a baby and a pump.

HTH,

Offline Hubbafer

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 01:24:57 am »
I feel 100% better reading your post.. thank you!!

Yes.. I get sooo frustrated, especially when others say 'just pump' so you can do things (go out, etc). Not easy....it's not a 'quickly pump and away we go' thing....

I pumped in the middle of the night before :) Actually helped! Got almost 8 oz one time... going to keep that in mind and pump when I need to at that time (put pump/bottle by the bed! hehe).

THANK YOU :)
"Lucas Francesco"
Born: May 23, 2005

annamum

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 05:54:46 am »
You are welcome  :D .

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 16:14:26 pm »
I generally pump halfway between my first two feeds.  I think my body expects it - I can generally get around 5 oz, and I feel engorged on days when I don't pump, so if you make it part of your routine, you may be able to get more.