Author Topic: Will she learn to fall asleep on her own without crying?  (Read 1270 times)

Offline pls

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Will she learn to fall asleep on her own without crying?
« on: September 23, 2005, 01:36:31 am »
I am not sure if this post should be here or under props.  My daughter is now 13 weeks old.  We had been doing the gradual weaning since she was 7 weeks old but especially for naps she got more and more dependent on the pacifier.  Up until last week, she would take great naps but wake frequently during active REM and would only go back to sleep with the paci.  Then all of a sudden even the paci did not help.  Then she started waking up at night.  So we decided it was time for cold turkey.  We are on day 5 and it has been hard. 
She used to go to sleep by herself with the paci.  Now, she cries and I do pat/shush in the crib.  Some times she'll cry for a few minutes and then make grumpy noises and fall asleep.  Some times she'll cry for like 10 minutes before falling asleep exhausted.  Does this get better.  Will she eventually (are we talking weeks?) learn to fall asleep on her own?
Now I do I wind down and put her down and pat/shush her.  Every once in a while if she cries way to hard I'll pick her up calm her and then continue pat/shush.  Nighttime so far as been better.  Naps are now a total disaster and her EASY is totally off.  She wakes after 30 minutes (she enters sleep in deep sleep rather then light sleep)  In the morning I  have so far been able to extend her nap with pat/shush to 1 or 1 1/2 hours.  All other naps, I cannot extend the nap past 30 minutes (regardless of wake to sleep or patting and shushing).  She's calm then starts sucking her tongue, then looking for the paci with an open mouth and then starts crying and crying and after 15 minutes of crying and patting and shushing I give up.  She is trying to find her thumb/fingers during the day but is not yet really coordinated and most times gets frustrated with it.
Will she learn to fall asleep on her own, without crying and without patting and shushing?  Will she learn to take longer naps?  Do I just continue what I am doing for every nap?  It sure is very frustrating.
Thanks

Offline Matthew's Mommy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 22
Will she learn to fall asleep on her own without crying?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 00:20:34 am »
Hi there,  I'm so sorry that your post was sitting for so long, without a response.

Okay, self soothing is a learned skill, that literally takes weeks. It's not something that will happen overnight, or within a few days.  Your little one is just 3 months old, so she's just starting the process.

It is lot harder to go without the soother, I've had one soother-baby and a non-soother baby-- life was a lot smoother with a soother-baby. With my non-soother baby (Brendan) he had a hard time settling down and completely entering sleep with the soother. It would disrupt the process and he would never really fall asleep.  So we ended up going without the soother.

I will be honest with you, we had lots of tears. I found that as he matured, from 3 months to 4.5 months, his ability to settle into sleep gradually improved. It took lots of patience and keeping calm on my part.  Lots of patting-shushing, and staying near to support through the jolts. 

Right now, you're just a week into it-- a week from now, it'll be better-- not completely better but you should notice somewhat of a difference.  During this time, be as conscious of her sleepy cues and making sure she doesn't overtire/overstimulate prior to her nap.  You don't want to push her awake time right now, just focus on helping her to settle to sleep without the prop.

I hope this helps, I know it's not easy right now, but it will improve as she matures each week.
Jane
Whispering since 2001
Matthew July 27th, 2001
Brendan October 21st, 2004