Author Topic: 14 month old, won't go to sleep without bottle of formula  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Kacey's Mama

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
14 month old, won't go to sleep without bottle of formula
« on: September 23, 2005, 03:38:04 am »
My 14 month old girl won't go to sleep without having a bottle of formula. this applies to her daytime sleep of around 12pm and when going to sleep at night time around 7pm. Also when she wakes at night she won't settle back to sleep without me getting up and giving her a bottle of formula. She wakes up around 2-3 times a night and sleep til 6.30am in the mornings. What can i do to stop her from waking up at night??? i've tried leaving her to cry it out but can't stand hearing her getting so hysterical as it makes me want to cry as well!!! Any ideas or correct ways on helping them settle themselves will be appreciated!

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
14 month old, won't go to sleep without bottle of formula
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 04:30:48 am »
If your dd was allowed to have a bottle when going to nap/bed since she was a baby, that is the only way that she knows how to sleep.  When she wakes up, she expects that she will eat in order to fall back asleep.  She needs to be broken of this habit (both during the day and at night) in order for the nighttime wakings to stop.

Have you read Tracy's "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer?"  In that book she outlines specifically what you will need to do (based on your dd's age).  Tracy's Sleep Interview should have some helpful information for your dd's age range as well.

You don't have to let her CIO, but there will definitely be crying.  Unless you decide to let her continue waking up and expecting to eat, crying is unavoidable and, I have to be honest, it won't be easy to break her of this habit.  However, Tracy's methods will help you teach your dd how to sleep without expecting the bottle will allowing her trust to not be broken, and it will work (it's been proven by many moms!!).

Good luck!!  Let us know if you have any specific questions about Tracy's technique and how things work out.
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna